Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: [Award Winner] Creating Realistic Coastlines

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The only advice that I can give you about which parts should be smoother and which crinklier is that (here on Earth, at least) it's entirely a product of natural forces such as tectonics, erosion, and sea level. How things appear on your map is further complicated by scale because very crinkly details in areas may disappear, while what would be relatively smooth areas locally might have significant detail when zoomed out.
    Interesting. I guess now the question is, how do tectonics, erosion and sea level affect the smoothness of coasts, anyways?

Awesome technique, OldGuy.

I used 2000 x 1000 base map, Gaussian blur 15, threshold of around 200. (all exaggerated from your numbers because the file was much larger)

Very *very* pleased with the result

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coastline Exercise.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	92743

Thank you

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Works well in Gimp, too! Very nice technique. Duly repped!

Translated to gimp steps I used were:
    * Filter | Noise | HSV Noise (Holdness 1, Hue 0, Sat 0, Value 255).
    + Edit | Fade (Darken Only)
    * Filter | Blur |Gaussian Blur (2 or adjust to taste). *(1 will create very fine distressing and the larger the blur, the larger the effect)
    * Colours | Threshold (adjust to taste). *(I found 160 is a good start, up to 185 for a lacier coastline)
    * Fuzzy Select Tool (Threshold 0), click in black surrounding area.
    * Ctrl-I to invert the selection
    * Fill with White.

-Rob A>
    Worked like a charm. I love that there are resources for GiMP on this site. As I am VERY NEW to the site, is there an area that is ONLY GiMP tips and tricks?
    I have looked a couple times so far and have not found it yet.

No separate areas Tricks, but that's because we are an inclusive lot. Most of us use more than one app to make a single map, so it wouldn't really make much sense to separate it all into different software departments.

Have you tried just putting 'GIMP' in the search engine and doing an advanced search in this forum only?
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-18-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    No separate areas Tricks, but that's because we are an inclusive lot. Most of us use more than one app to make a single map, so it wouldn't really make much sense to separate it all into different software departments.

Have you tried just putting 'GIMP' in the search engine and doing an advanced search in this forum only?

LOL I'm barely able to work with GiMP. I can't imagine using more than one program to make a map.
    Maybe I should just hire someone to bang me out a map. LOL

Guild Novice

thank you for the tutorial!

This is a glorious tutorial - I hand draw maps, and always have a hard time creating organically (read: randomized) created variances. Mentally, I always fall into an orderly, even-spaced variation. I think I'll try something like this with a loose landmass drawing, then use a lightbox to trace the randomized variations! Thanks for the tips!

Guild Novice

SOmething I have to try out. Seen it a few times pop up now

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678