Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Online Map Libraries (Real World Cartography)

Hobbitt Estates, Greater Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas, USA

www.helmink.com

A dealer of maps of antiquity I just discovered while using StumbleUpon. My first thought was the guild.

I hope you enjoy.
    City of Opal Island Map (Featured Map Winner...yay!): http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5966
    Various maps from my Homebrew Game: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5407
    Unless I explicitly state otherwise you have my permission to use my maps in any capacity needed just give me credit. If you make money off them somehow, that's awesome - let me know! In fact, I LOVE to hear about the ways maps I make are used.

Last April I started a site called the BIG Map Blog.

While working on another project I had occasion to spend long hours doing archival research. During this research I found literally thousands of awesome maps that I saved for personal interest/use (I am a lover of maps and a cartographer by academic training). At some point I got real jazzed on the idea of releasing them to the public.

Most map blogs (and there are several amazing ones) will display somewhat large maps, but they're never as large as I'd like; and it's very rare that they'll provide the full-res file. The Big Map Blog – being designed as a tool for the dissemination and use of these old public-domain maps – is proudly transparent in providing files at their highest resolution.

New maps are posted every weekday. You can get updates via twitter or you can just subscribe to the RSS feed if you'd like.

How long am I planning on updating? Well, I have around a thousand optimized maps ready to go, so, possibly "for forever". The queue is stacked with new content until April of 2016 at the moment.

I've been real excited to see all of the maps that the Cartographers' Guild's members have been making; while I'm not personally all that familiar with the fantasy mapping idiom, I am nonetheless a huge fan of well-made maps; and this site has introduced me to a huge number of them. Keep up the good work.
    www.BigMapBlog.com
    The largest curated collection of enormous maps on the web.
    — All maps free to download at their highest resolution. —

Guild Novice

Nice site BigMap, lot of inspiration to get from all the sources mentioned in the thread. Thank you all

Historical maps of Reykjavik (Iceland) 1834 - 1990. Sorry that the text is all in Icelandic, but the jpgs are clear to see on the page and the metadata is understandable.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Guild Apprentice

Historical Map Archive
    This site is hosted by University of Alabama, they have quite a collection of Historical Maps there, and not just of Alabama.

Guild Apprentice

ther is a website from the Marciana National Library in Venice, Italy, that offers the possibility of viewing part of the map collection of this ancient institution (the book collection dates back to the first donation made by Francesco Petrarca, the author of the Decameron, in 1362).

The site is awful enough: Geoweb
    The difficult part is to find whar you are looking for: the best way to throw away the s****y interactive map, and use a good old textual search (look left for "online catalog").
    Images comes, however, with a watermark, but it offers scans of big size.
    Worth taking a look: it is a huge collection (in fact, the site allows you to search not only on the cartographic collection, but also the ancient prints)
    Last edited by EruSilme; 10-11-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast