Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rheia: one final try at ground-up worldbuilding

This is beautiful, congrats on making it this far!!

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

This is a really cool project that you're working on. I'm trying to worldbuild myself but learning G-Plates and all. So, I have a question. I How did you figure out how to age the mountains and orogenies? How did you move the rifts? Also, when do you plan to do the climates? Is this your final worldbuilding project? It would be really helpful to know. Thanks, and good luck with your project.

Looks amazing. Sometimes it seems to me that such bores as we have died out. There have been no updates from Charerg for a long time and I have not seen Pixie on the network for several years. I'm glad that you are still here and continue to create your world.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodytheClimateGuy View Post
    This is a really cool project that you're working on. I'm trying to worldbuild myself but learning G-Plates and all. So, I have a question. I How did you figure out how to age the mountains and orogenies? How did you move the rifts? Also, when do you plan to do the climates? Is this your final worldbuilding project? It would be really helpful to know. Thanks, and good luck with your project.
    Thanks Woody! The most helpful resource for me was the Worldbuilding Pasta GPlates tutorial, which shows basically everything you need for figuring out rifts, aging of orogenies, etc. As I mentioned in my first post my main point of difference was starting "only" about 400 million years ago, as that's the earliest you can generally expect plate tectonics to impact present-day topography. I do very much hope that this is my last major worldbuilding project of this type, considering the hundreds of hours of hard work it took to get to this point! I hope to move on to actually writing stories in this world once I get to the point where I'm comfortable with it, as that's sort of the end goal of all of this. If I do one in the future, it will hopefully be after there are many more easily-accessible tools for modeling tectonics, climate, topography, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrg View Post
    Looks amazing. Sometimes it seems to me that such bores as we have died out. There have been no updates from Charerg for a long time and I have not seen Pixie on the network for several years. I'm glad that you are still here and continue to create your world.
    Thanks Harrg! Indeed, it does seem as if many folks of our type have stopped posting although I do hope that changes. It's a bit surprising as there seem to be more and better resources on this available now than there ever have been. I have no expertise in Discord or how to run it, but if I were to start a Discord server for this sort of super-in-depth worldbuilding would anyone be interested in joining?

Now that I'm more or less happy with my topography and bathymetry, I'm now finally moving on to climates. As interesting as it seems it would be to use ExoPlaSim, I honestly lack both the processing power and technological know-how to figure out how to install and run it as a program. I also haven't *loved* the outputs I've seen from it in terms of the amount of detail and the things it seems to get wrong compared to real-world climates, and I think I prefer to include a little more detail in terms of variations in temperature and precipitation than it seems the model can handle. That's probably mostly cope for the fact I'm an absolute know-nothing when it comes to technology though, and I'd honestly be willing to pay someone else to run my world through ExoPlaSim if they have the time and processor.

With all that said, here's my first stab at currents for the world. Both Azelor's tutorial and the Worldbuilding Pasta tutorial were useful for this, but I kept referencing this map of Earth as a reminder that drawing currents as little teeny narrow arrows isn't actually the best way to visualize them. I'm mostly happy with what I have, although if there are any corrections they're very much welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rheia_currents.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	134834
    Last edited by Tiluchi; 12-13-2022 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiluchi View Post
    Now that I'm more or less happy with my topography and bathymetry, I'm now finally moving on to climates. As interesting as it seems it would be to use ExoPlaSim, I honestly lack both the processing power and technological know-how to figure out how to install and run it as a program. I also haven't *loved* the outputs I've seen from it in terms of the amount of detail and the things it seems to get wrong compared to real-world climates, and I think I prefer to include a little more detail in terms of variations in temperature and precipitation than it seems the model can handle. That's probably mostly cope for the fact I'm an absolute know-nothing when it comes to technology though, and I'd honestly be willing to pay someone else to run my world through ExoPlaSim if they have the time and processor.

With all that said, here's my first stab at currents for the world. Both Azelor's tutorial and the Worldbuilding Pasta tutorial were useful for this, but I kept referencing this map of Earth as a reminder that drawing currents as little teeny narrow arrows isn't actually the best way to visualize them. I'm mostly happy with what I have, although if there are any corrections they're very much welcome.

Views:	70 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	134834
    I say skip exoplasim is too much troubles installing and the results are barely worth in my opinion . There is artifexian simple tutorial for climates or azelor that are more than enough ... climatology design is not an easy process not because of the rules to apply but because climate is a complex system and without implementic specific random event variables and many other things that could influence the areas it will never be perfect, so an approximation is always the result also with exoplasim and other tools. I wish had time to program a climate simulator with basic functions to speed up things.

About the currents I see sone issues ... the currents should work like gears and I see some aren't matching in the same direction , at the poles you dont have all that space for turn arounds check projections.
    Also when drawing climates if you want to go more in depth you might want to consider not only currents but also elevations, pressurezones and wind directions.
    Last edited by Naima; 12-13-2022 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post

About the currents I see sone issues ... the currents should work like gears and I see some aren't matching in the same direction , at the poles you dont have all that space for turn arounds check projections.
    Also when drawing climates if you want to go more in depth you might want to consider not only currents but also elevations, pressurezones and wind directions.
    Thanks for the feedback Naima! I did notice a few gyres going in the wrong direction for their hemisphere so I've corrected them. Let me know if there's anything else that looks wrong. Regarding the poles it's actually quite normal for there to be small-ish gyres, such as the East Spitsbergen Coastal Current or the Baffin Island/Labrador Current; the projection means there's more lateral space at the poles than it appears. That said I realized that my circumpolar current in the south pole was flowing in the wrong direction so I've corrected that.

And yes, of course I will also be taking into account elevation, pressure systems, etc... I just haven't gotten to that stage quite yet.

Views:	47 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	134837
    Last edited by Tiluchi; 12-13-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks Woody! The most helpful resource for me was the Worldbuilding Pasta GPlates tutorial, which shows basically everything you need for figuring out rifts, aging of orogenies, etc. As I mentioned in my first post my main point of difference was starting "only" about 400 million years ago, as that's the earliest you can generally expect plate tectonics to impact present-day topography. I do very much hope that this is my last major worldbuilding project of this type, considering the hundreds of hours of hard work it took to get to this point! I hope to move on to actually writing stories in this world once I get to the point where I'm comfortable with it, as that's sort of the end goal of all of this. If I do one in the future, it will hopefully be after there are many more easily-accessible tools for modeling tectonics, climate, topography, etc.

Thanks Harrg! Indeed, it does seem as if many folks of our type have stopped posting although I do hope that changes. It's a bit surprising as there seem to be more and better resources on this available now than there ever have been. I have no expertise in Discord or how to run it, but if I were to start a Discord server for this sort of super-in-depth worldbuilding would anyone be interested in joining?
    I believe there is a similar Discord like this called Weldholm (formerly associated with the mapnaking reddit). There are a lot of people doing this kind of mapping on there.

NI'd honestly be willing to pay someone else to run my world through ExoPlaSim if they have the time and processor.
    I'm currently chugging along with ExoPlaSim runs and can get a T42 resolution model (64 x 128 px) to converge in about 20 - 24 hours compute time; I'd be happy to give your world a go (for free!) if you're interested. There are definitely some systematic errors - my general thinking is that the best approach is to manually modify the temperature / precipitation outputs and then feed those into the tutorial here rather than rely solely on the climate maps generated from pure ExoPlaSim data - though I also think it offers the ability to capture effects we might not be able to immediately predict based on our N = 1 data point of earth.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

It seems you got down the ocean currents, so that's great. I'm exciting and intrigued on how you will tackle the pressure zones and climates! Are you going to do it simple like the Pasta, or are you going to do it complex like the other worlds and like Earth?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast