Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Photo-realistic Trees in GIMP: A Mini-Tut

First and foremost, as my first post - Thank you for this fantastic tutorial!

I've recently gained the desire to learn a bit of cartography. Originally I used RobA's tutorial which helped me get familiar with GIMP and then came across your tutorial which I've been practicing at for some time now. I've also looked through your projects and am always impressed with how your land comes out which is the reason for my post.

What method(s) do you use to plan out your general land? I've attempted to emulate it several times but find it always lacking the 'feel' you manage to capture which, to me, is somewhere between a dragonesque feel and final fantasy art style.

Would you mind revealing any methods to your style of basic land generation?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    First and foremost, as my first post - Thank you for this fantastic tutorial!

I've recently gained the desire to learn a bit of cartography. Originally I used RobA's tutorial which helped me get familiar with GIMP and then came across your tutorial which I've been practicing at for some time now. I've also looked through your projects and am always impressed with how your land comes out which is the reason for my post.

What method(s) do you use to plan out your general land? I've attempted to emulate it several times but find it always lacking the 'feel' you manage to capture which, to me, is somewhere between a dragonesque feel and final fantasy art style.

Would you mind revealing any methods to your style of basic land generation?
    Hi Nowhere Man, sorry for the late reply, been a bit preoccupied at the moment.

Glad the tutorial has been of use to you! As for the land shapes, I wrote a little tutorial on this over at my blog a couple of years ago which talks about my method. In regards to "feel" of this style, I think this is sort of just an intuition thing. I sort of just let the fractal clouds guide me through creating the main land masses, with an aim toward making them feel, as you describe "dragonesque". I'm not sure that there's much I can tell you about this other than keep practicing. The more you play at it the more confident you will become and the easier it will become.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Greetings Hivemind. Been going through this tutorial and have a couple of questions.
    (I know its been a while since this post was started and last answered but taking a shot anyway. And keep clicking and adjusting till something magical happens LOL)

1. After Isolating the Forests on page 4 does the selection remain active during the next step of adding individual trees?

2. Now in the “Yet More Refinement for the Forest Outline” I am not able to bucket fill the selection with white from the Channels Tab (Gimp 2.10.32). When I do it on the Trees layer, I end up with the forest cloud and a bunch of white spots. Nothing like Figure 12 (where the trees are also part of the cloud colors). Is there something I am missing, or should it look that way?

I am playing around between this tutorial and others on a large size map and am just beginning to learn how to use GIMP. I know that my results will not be exactly what is shown in examples but so far, I have been close enough to get the idea and able to play around with some of the settings to get something that is acceptable for my purpose.

This tutorial and the others have been a huge help with this old dog.

Thank you for any suggestions

Blog Entries

please note that in the last 12 years since the tut was written , Gimp has CHANGED A LOT!!!

with Gimp 3.0 on the way there have been a lot of changes recently in how things work .
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you Jonvanvliet, and am fully aware that here have been alot of changes. That is why I am just keep going over things and to see if I can tweak it out to get something similar for my needs and honestly it keeps getting closer and closer the more I push the buttons. I thought I would just give it a shot and ask the question that I have not been able to find an the answer to yet.

Edit: So kept plugging along and trying different things. Well got it worked out (still no clue what I actually did LOL). Here is where I am now after using this tutorial)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T8rTrees.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.81 MB 
ID:	134725
    Last edited by Edward Tait; 11-25-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910