View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

I usually go the other way.... bringing the svg into gimp as paths. Or I export as a png and bring that in, as it is more useful than xcf for other purposes.

-Rob A>

Guild Member

Question Corel PhotoPaint

Does anyone know about mapping in Corel PhotoPaint? I've done a lot of graphic design over the years, and unfortunately, this is the only program I'm thoroughly familiar with and I already have it. So frankly, I'd love to find out if anyone here works in it and has any tips or tutorials.

I've been peeking at all the options on the table and it's so overwhelming trying to pick one and actually write my book at the same time. If I could work in something I know, then it takes most of the stress out of it.

Hope that makes any sense.

BTW, .png is a supported file type.

Quote Originally Posted by aiRo25 View Post
    Does anyone know about mapping in Corel PhotoPaint? I've done a lot of graphic design over the years, and unfortunately, this is the only program I'm thoroughly familiar with and I already have it. So frankly, I'd love to find out if anyone here works in it and has any tips or tutorials.

I've been peeking at all the options on the table and it's so overwhelming trying to pick one and actually write my book at the same time. If I could work in something I know, then it takes most of the stress out of it.

Hope that makes any sense.

BTW, .png is a supported file type.
    I don't know of anyone here that uses PhotoPaint, but there might be. It's just as much a matter of features as anything else. For example, many of the things Photoshop does can also be done in GIMP but there are a few things GIMP can't do or can't do anywhere near as well. Likewise, there are some things GIMP can do that PS can't come anywhere close to doing.

There is also a hugh difference depending on the type of map you trying to make. For example, Torstan usually makes maps far more on the artsy side most of the time which are more like paintings. While I can't say for sure, I believe he mostly does line drawings, followed by color, and then 1 or more 50% grey layers set to overlay mode and burn/dodge to create height. On the other side, many people create bump maps, so if you want that effect, your application of choice needs to have that feature.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Well, I actually stumbled across mapping.

I started writing when I was just a kid, and then I hand drew maps all the time. Aweful stuff! Hand me a ruler and a pencil and you still might not get a straight line.

Then I went into writing seriously. Right now, I'm working on a multiple galaxy universe, and I'm trying to create a workable image of my space/time continuum (that's a harder ball of wax and I'll probably figure it out later), and then for regular mapping, I'm looking mostly to do artistic, somewhat realistic overland maps.

I could do maps of ships and buildings and there are a handful of them that I ought to do, but I'm worried it will take too much time. There is one city map I desperately need to do, but I'm not very attracted to the add-on prices of Campaign Cartographer, especially since I know CorelDraw is vector (not sure what PhotoPaint is), but I know nothing at all about CAD.

I looked at Dundjinni for the style I like, but it doesn't do overlands too well, and that's my main requirement. I looked at Fractal Mapper, CC3, Inkscape, Bryce, etc. but all of them have that learning curve. And maybe I'll need to pick one, but I'm kind of hoping...

Then I went into writing seriously. Right now, I'm working on a multiple galaxy universe, and I'm trying to create a workable image of my space/time continuum (that's a harder ball of wax and I'll probably figure it out later), and then for regular mapping, I'm looking mostly to do artistic, somewhat realistic overland maps.
    Take a look at out last challenge (Nov) as there are tons of space maps, most made either in GIMP or Photoshop.

I could do maps of ships and buildings and there are a handful of them that I ought to do, but I'm worried it will take too much time. There is one city map I desperately need to do, but I'm not very attracted to the add-on prices of Campaign Cartographer, especially since I know CorelDraw is vector (not sure what PhotoPaint is), but I know nothing at all about CAD.

I looked at Dundjinni for the style I like, but it doesn't do overlands too well, and that's my main requirement. I looked at Fractal Mapper, CC3, Inkscape, Bryce, etc. but all of them have that learning curve. And maybe I'll need to pick one, but I'm kind of hoping...
    PhotoPaint is raster based on what I found last night in the web. As I said, a lot of it is all about features, BUT I have seen someone do a very nice map in MSPaint that comes with Windows, so skill also plays into it. If you decide to go try another software, I would highly encorage you to give GIMP(rastor)/Inkscape(vector) a try since they are both free and there are a large number of mapping tutorials here as well as general tutorials on the web. Since you say you have a City map to do...try the this tutorial. It may be for photoshop, but many(not all) of the techniques are adaptable to GIMP and other applications and those that are not can usually be faked somehow. Create a new Work in Progress thread in the appropriate forum to post up your work and we have plenty of people who will try to help you. And if you have found any reference work post a link to it so we can get an idea of what you are going for if needed.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

PhotoPaint is a fine program for mapping. I started out with it, and kept with it until I moved to Photoshop for school. For buildings, I had good success with Duvik's tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=716 Get textures from cgtextures.com And the Zombie Nirvana tuts I pointed out in your intro thread are also quite valuable.

If you're comfortable with Corel, I say stick with it. It's quite a powerful suite, and familiarity is valuable. DRAW is also nice for more illustrative maps like this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=2439&page=5

That one was done with Serif DrawPlus, I think, but CorelDRAW is a comparable tool.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I say that it's about using what you know or are familiar with...that's why I only use Photoshop. Sure I could buy those other things or even get the free stuff but why? I'm comfy with what I have and have learned to maneuver around the things that I don't have (like image tubes in Paint Shop Pro and GIMP). The fun part for me is always trying to replicate the look and feel that you get with other programs and making maps with what I have rather than just doing it the easy way and getting more appropriate software (like CC3 or Dunjinni). It's that whole "figuring it out" part that's rewarding to me.

There is a bonus for you however being one of the few (here) using Corel...you can do things in ways that the rest of us don't even know about so your maps could be revolutionary and spawn a whole exodus away from what we all use over to Corel. Or they could be total crap Either way it's the journey that's the fun part and you could also write up some tutorials (which is always a good thing).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Don't want to harp, Xara, but...

OK, I mentioned this to you in your introduction thread, but I use Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2, however there is a Xara Xtreme (not Pro) for about $70, whereas Pro is like $250, but the "non Pro" version can do anything in the creation of maps I currently use, it just has other stuff, my day job needs, so that's why I have and use it.

The point being, Xara Xtreme is sooooo easy to learn and use, you'll be creating what you want the same day you started using it - really. There's such a loyal GIMP crowd here, I don't want to step on them, so I'm less pushy to trying out Xara, when there are so many options. I'd say Xara almost has no learning curve, its that easy to figure out!

It's faster than most applications (I've used many, so I know) and extremely powerful, I use for much of a daytime job, its that versatile. Although, yes, its a paid for program, but you can download a 14 day trial for free, to give you time to figure this out.

I've got a couple tutorials using Xara for mapping, located below:
    Making a Regional Map using Xara Xtreme

Got several other Xara tutorials, but the following one emphasizes one of the important tools that offer tremedous design creation - a must learn feature, and be sure to download the PDF link there...
    Using Combine Shapes in Xara Xtreme

Remember, I'm not trying to convince everyone to use Xara, over other available applications, but you did ask for EASY to learn, FAST to use, so this is the only reason I'm asking you to try Xara Xtreme!

Every map whether starting as a hand-drawn work or completely digital, I've created for the Guild since I first joined involved Xara Xtreme in the workflow, or was completely created in Xara alone.

Its easy, easy, easy, powerful and fast! Please use your preferred app, I don't want to twist your arms away from it, but if you're looking for something different...try it!

GP

PS: I don't work for Xara, never have...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-23-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Thanks everybody!

Yeah, I had two threads because I signed up to post here and didn't notice I was supposed to introduce myself until the next day when I checked my email.

I think I'm going to be a busy camper with all these resources!

My brain's starting to compute too. I'm starting to figure out how to work with symbols in PPaint and textures. You guys really are the best.

I think I'm going to hold off on the work in progress until I have something I'm sure I want to work on.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast