Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: darrenkitlor's Abeir-Toril Map - Forgotten Realms

Guild Novice Facebook Connected darren_kitlor's Avatar

Everyone,

I found the old sea dog on a hard drive I nearly wiped.

Full Size
    Dimension: 16000px by 9000px
    File Size: (~44 MB)
    Use Case: Face Melting or Gaming Table Cover
    Link: GoogleDrive

Easy Print
    Dimensions: 5400px by 3038 px
    Use Case:
    Print 18" x 9" on ANSI C (22x17) at 300dpi -- suitable as a reference material
    36"x20" at 150 dpi, a suitable large poster DPI
    Link: GoogleDrive

It's been years between looking at it. Sure, the coasts could be tidied. The mountains and biomes improved. Clouds are completely removed. They didn't work. Overall, I think I could do better if I start over. It's just a huge series of raster layers using now-ancient versions of photoshop.

I'll get around to posting the PSB file (Photoshop format, which is compatible with Affinity Photo too).
    Last edited by darren_kitlor; 10-16-2018 at 01:02 AM.

It's really cool looking back and seeing the history of your post. Also as a current 5e campaign runner this is absolutely fascinating! I had no idea about some of these continents. This is amazing!

Default Great work

Hello man! This is old, but your toril map make me decide to enter the guild! Thank you. I am running a D&D campaign, and for the first time I am using the Forgotten Realms. Your work is very usefull to me.

i once hoped i could use your map to create a MineCraft world, but i gave up on it.

I lost the original file. The good news: modern tools are so much better. I'm going to focus on a 3rd edition style map then get into other styles thereafter (satellite-esque, aged, etc.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-map.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	732.3 KB 
ID:	133285
    Attachment 133286
    Last edited by darren_kitlor; 04-21-2022 at 01:42 AM.

Praise There are dozens of us! Dozens!!

Quote Originally Posted by darren_kitlor View Post
    I lost the original file. The good news: modern tools are so much better. I'm going to focus on a 3rd edition style map then get into other styles thereafter (satellite-esque, aged, etc.)

Name:	world-map.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	732.3 KB 
ID:	133285
    Attachment 133286
    As someone who stumbled onto this post after weeks of pouring over published maps, trying to understand Toril from a geographic/geologic/environmental perspective, you are the MAN, man!! I gotta ask, way back at the beginning of the project what sources did you rely on for making a heightmap of the continents? I resorted to making inferrences from known points of elevation and using rivers + biomes to fill in the blanks but gave up after realizing how much guesswork it was.

Back when I tried doing heightmaps, it was essentially tiling textures with topographic elevation "stamps" to give it the illusion of depth.

Making progress in the 3e style and hope to have one in a more muted, diablo-esque style.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 7.55.30 PM.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	136191

Name:	world-map-Toril-Progress.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	136192
    Last edited by darren_kitlor; 08-13-2023 at 10:57 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456