Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Cartographic Terminology

Guild Novice

Here is a cartographic term that has been talked about extensively, but not necessarily defined. Generic. This refers to the descriptor attached to place names. Examples: In Rocky Mountains, the generic is "Mountains". In Rio Grande, it is Rio. "Rio" and "mountain" and "Wadi" and "erg" aren't really cartographic terms in themselves. I believe the US Board on Geographic Names has a list of generics used in the US. I'll see if Icahn track it down.

Guild Novice

Couldn't find the link I was looking for but I found these which are kinda cool. I posted them here even though it relates more to "toponymy" ( the study of place names) than it does to Cartography.

List of generic forms in place names in the United Kingdom and Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generic terms – Antarctic Place-names Committee

I apologize if they have already been posted.

I'm going to throw a few of these terms around at the next party I go to an see if it impresses anyone! lol
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected kortleggur's Avatar

The Magnetic North and The True North move.. !!

Here is the movement of magnetic north in the past 200 years

And the True North Polar motion Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pole.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	70742 can be seen here http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/, but the True North not only moves but it wanders around, currently moving away from Europe and into Alaska or Siberia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_polar_wander. In my small country of Iceland, even if the tectonics are moving the country northward, then the true north wander is a bit faster taking the arctic Circle latitude with it and moving it away from the island. Well at least according to an old geography courses.
    Last edited by kortleggur; 02-10-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567