Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WiP: USS Singularity, NCC-74855

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a find it a little strange that people would have to share a room when with moving a wall or two you could easily have two small rooms there, of course the head could still be shared or made smaller
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

According to the deckplans I'm working from those are eight 'bunkrooms' with two three-tier bunks. You're right that they could easily be turned into two single-, double-, or triple-person rooms and I'm not quite sure why the designer didn't do that. In TNG and beyond we don't much get to see how enlisted crewmen live; in fact, we rarely see them at all beyond the occasional reference to somebody by the rank of "crewman". In TOS we see them more often but, even then, we never get to see if they live in small staterooms or shared rooms or barracks or what. You'd think that at least petty officers would get their own rooms, however.

If I was designing this from scratch I'd probably include several tiers of room: luxury (captain, XO, VIPs), senior officer, junior officer/senior enlisted, cadet/mid-enlisted (maybe two-person rooms), and junior enlisted (maybe bunkrooms). The Nova-class *is* supposed to be a short-range ship, however, so maybe the inconvenience is okay for short periods. There's not even all that much to do outside of the room...just a gym and lounge (though I've added two holodecks). I'd definitely want that arrangement on a Galaxy-class or something where there is scads of room.
    M

Edit: Deck 1 senior officers' conference room. Working on the captain's ready room but I'm being indecisive about the design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conf.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	38882  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-01-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Deck 1 nearly completed. I've decided to punt on the general engineering machinery...this is as detailed as I'm likely to get on it. Still needs a ready room. It's just a sketch at this point.
    M

Edit: or does it look better as just an outline schematic? Hard to say.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	483 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	38883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schematic.JPG 
Views:	506 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	38884  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-01-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Deck 2 coming along. Can revert to outline schematic if I decide to go that way. I like the little spots of color on the equipment, however. In the center are the two six-person transporter rooms. To the right is impulse engineering.
    M

Views:	552 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	38897  

Deck 2 completed. I think I'm likely to stick with the colored schematic style. I'll probably redo the furniture in the quarters, as it got borked from 2+ rotations. The desks in the offices could use some work as well. Note also that there is a stray line crossing the horizontal Jefferies tube running between the transporter rooms. Have to go back and fix that in the deckplan file when I do cleanup there.
    M

Name:	d2f.JPG 
Views:	968 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	38900  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-02-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Here's deck 8. Not so great looking. The outline things up forward are the landing gear...but they look a little hinkey.
    M

Name:	d8f.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	38903  

Blog Entries

one thing I find interesting with the whole design - and leading back to the room question. When you look at ships today, they have lots of space for the crew - cause there is plenty of room - especially since it takes less and less crew to operate a ship. It seems like there are a lot of crew needed to run a spaceship "these days" *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Are you and I really the only Star Trek geeks on this board?

ST has always been a little wishy washy about crew. Hard to find exact figures but:
    * The TOS Enterprise under Pike (Constitution-class, 2250s) had 200ish (mentioned in the pilot)
    * That grew to 400 by the time Kirk took over (later 2260s).
    * Enterprise B (Excelsior-class, 2284+) had 770 crew.
    * Enterprise C (Ambassador-class, mid-2322+) had 900 (125 was a skeleton crew in the episode Yesterday's Enterprise).
    * Enterprise D (Galaxy-class, 2356+) had 1,100.
    * Intrepid-class ships have a crew of 168.
    * Nova-class ships have 100.
    * Defiant-class ships have 50.

These are rough and are a mix of (possibly wrong) figures I dug off of the Internet. They're also not the hard-core 'how many does it take to run the ship' sort of figures. Voyager could run the ship with 80-90 crew and it seems like I remember the Defiant operating with just an away-team's worth.

Starfleet, even in the TOS era but especially in the TNG era, has a lot of science-types aboard who aren't crucial to starship operations - and, in the TNG era, you'll find families on the larger ships and civilian staff (bartenders, barbers, etc.)

The thing that bugs me most about the Nova-class design by SD is the huge officer to enlisted disparity. As drawn, the ship has room for 159 personnel; 15 of those in nice officer's quarters and 144 of them in big six-person bunkrooms. It's a research ship, though, with five labs. 15 officers is barely enough to staff the three-shift operational rotation of the ship's critical departments, let alone man the labs or act as non-critical administrators (logistics and support, etc.) What are all of those enlisted crew *doing* exactly? They can operate and maintain the ship's systems and such, and the senior enlisted can handle a lot of the management tasks...but I doubt they have the advanced sciences degrees necessary to carry out "hard" research. If somebody from the Daystrom Institute rides along, where does she stay? In the bunkroom? I doubt it.

So, I'm assuming quite a few more single- or double-person staterooms for officers, warrant officers, and civilian adjunct science personnel. I'm *not* going to redraw the plans to show this, however. My game plans call for a team of scientists (three for now) from the Daystrom Institute being aboard. And...I may need more ensigns, lieutenant's J.G. and such to serve as replacement PCs if the player's original characters get themselves killed.

One thing about S-T: it's not very consistent despite all of the ret-conning done by Okuda et. al. I can squish things around a bit as needed...and these deckplans aren't central to the game, just a way to put something showing where sickbay is located in relation to the bridge into the players' hands. They're also sort of fun to do, game or no.
    M

Deck 7 astrometrics lab and lateral observation room. Trying out a new style for consoles. Think it looks okay.
    M

Views:	240 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	38910  

Blog Entries

by the way, I like the idea of players playing different roles on board, that way you can make different kind of scenarios. I remember a friend of mine had a scenario going where the players all played a wizard/lord and also his apprentice/squire - also a great idea, especially since there has to be a million things that the high lords would never do...
    regs tilt

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast