Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAS Form 6 - Subsector Map Grid

It has been a while since I've written any code but I decided to try writing a little 3D viewer that will read in a Traveller sub-sector and display the details interactively. It's just dummy data right now but the idea is that you'd see the main planet, gas giant, bases, jump routes, etc. and be able to click or mouse over to get additional details on the world/system in question. It'll read in a text file with information like sub-sector name, adjoining sectors (to be printed along the border of the grid), hex contents, etc. and then display that data. You can move the camera around, zoom, etc. Anyway, it's mostly just a mock-up now but might be fun if I ever finish it.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	45108  

Now it reads in a sector from a file, scales the world according to size, and adds gas giants if present. Will get to bases, texture based on world type, etc. eventually. This is the Sol subsector, of course.
    M

Name:	cap.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	45194  

Guild Journeyer

That's pretty cool. I'm not sure what the application would be, but you don't need to be practical to be cool.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Thanks. It's not terribly practical but I will likely find it useful while running a game. It'll essentially be a pretty map with more info behind it than you could stick onto a 2D page and keep track of what's going on.
    M

Now the program selects a texture at random for each planet and gas giant. There are 40+ planet textures and about 30 gas giant textures. The bases and such are just colored objects at the moment but I'll fix that at some point.

If there's a planet named "Earth" or "Terra" it gets its own custom texture. I should probably do the same for the gas giant, using a texture map of Jupiter...right now it's still just a random texture.

I'll probably make it so it saves its random choices back out to the file so the textures are all the same next time you load it up. Be a little confusing for a GM if it looks different every time. Also, the selection is completely random, but I plan to pick from maps that match hydro/atmo ratings of the world.

I haven't abandoned the subsector map PSD thing. Still working on it. I'd actually, however, like this app to eventually create a sector randomly (or read one in) and then output a nice 2D map. We'll see if it comes to that.
    M

Edit: Oh, it also does travel zones now too. The two at lower left are supposed to be amber zones...though I've made them too transparent and they just look sort of brown.

Name:	1.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	45287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	45288  

A bit more. Jupiter now gets a custom texture. Also, planetary textures are assigned based on atmosphere and hydrographic coverage. I need some more watery worlds, however.

There are now better stand-ins for naval and scout bases and depots. Terra has a navy and scout depot. The deserty orange/black planet has a naval base. The green and brown one has a scout base. I'm sure I can make better models for these at some point but these are my first take.

I'm wondering whether to try to do something similar for starports. Only, I think the lower-rated ones don't have high-ports so shouldn't show up in this view I guess. Maybe I'll just save it for the info pop-up you get when you right-click a world.
    M

Name:	a1.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	45302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	45303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	45304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	45305  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 05-31-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Guild Journeyer

This is starting to look really slick!
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Thanks! In the meantime I've broken the whole thing while I try to figure out how to apply planet textures based on all of a world's particulars. The maps in there now (which look awesome!) were all from guys on the Internet and are static textures. I'm trying to make multilayered maps with land, water, atmosphere, and clouds and it's not coming out quite the way I want it to. The existing rendered maps are so nice and it's hard to beat them for pretty.

BTW, there's not a size 0 (asteroids/planetoids) world in the Sol subsector but that's in the program too. Next screenshot I'll dummy up an extra system with a size 0 world and throw it in.

I haven't a clue how I'm going to do jump routes...
    M

A little more work, not so much on visuals (which have actually degraded since last post), more on functionality. Now each entity has a name and that, along with its hex number, pops up when you mouse over the entity. If you right-click on a world the app opens a pop-up with system details.

Now back to work on texture maps. I've downloaded a trial of LunarCell and am hoping to figure out how to make that work for me here. I've done some tests and its output is really designed to be used with real rendering apps, not my crummy programming language that won't even do bump maps.
    M

Name:	2.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	45343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	45344  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's brilliant, Mearrin! I can't wait to see where you take this next. Have you shared this with the traveller boards at Citizens of the Imperium? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php) I have a feeling they would love it.

-asp
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast