Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

Im a fan of Dresden as well as Brandon Sanderson

For me it has to be The Realm of The Elderlings. From the Six Duchies, to the Mountain Kingdom, to the Out Islands, to the Rain Wilds, and all the way to Clerres. I absolutely love how different each one of these cultures are. Another big factor for me is that there are so many books that take place in the world, so I feel like I'm super familiar with so many different aspects of it.

______
    https://apix-drive.com/en/flowxo
    Last edited by gamingwoof; 11-04-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Bowen19 View Post
    I Love Middle Earth. But my favorite might actually be the world my brother made for gaming. It's such a rich setting that I've absolutely fallen for it!
    I would love to see it! Especially because I'm looking to improve in my cartography/worldbuilding skills

World of Greyhawk! There are a lot of great other worlds, but that is my favorite.

For me, it's a tie between the world created in the Spellmonger Series by Terry Mancour, and the Cosmere by Brandon Sanderson. It's a tough choice too, since I love different things about the different universes they have created. I love how Spellmonger handles divinity, for example - being faith based constructs of humanity and unique to the magic of humans, a concept I adapted to my own setting. At the same time, I love how creative the Cosmere can be, particularly Roshar. There's a lot of concepts that just inspire me.

Default I can't pick just 1

When I was a kid I loved Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons, and Conan. As I got older I enjoyed the Out of the Ashes series of books as well as Call of Cthulhu. The older I got, the more I started to like Westerns. I guess I can't pick just one. I feel if something is released in the right time the right place it will take off and people will mimic it and the "ride" begins. 1 successful superhero movie started it all- remember ? Now the market is so saturated and the heroes they pick now are meh.

I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.

Funny enough there are tons of maps that can be used for that sort of thing. But from what I understand the author of the Pern books was against an RPG based on them. I don't think there ever was one developed, though I've heard folks using dogfight rules (like maybe from Dawn Patrol?) to add to other games to get more of a Pern feel. Be intrigued if anyone else knows any more.

I have spent many years gaming in the Forgotten Realms setting and it is the one I have the most invested in. Currently we are playing a Spelljammer campaign in the Forgotten Realms Sphere.

I've been visiting Osted Ard (Tad Williams's Memory, Sorry, and Thorn and the more recent follow on series Last King of Osten Ard) since I was 11, so that will always have a special place in my heart. As too will Krynn, the world of Dragonlance, because of the (literal, I'm not exaggerating) decades I've spent there playing AD&D.

But, if I had to pick just one fantasy world or universe: Michael Moorcock's Multiverse. No question. The themes, the richness, the variation, everything about it.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast