Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Density Map GIMP Script

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    One limitation is that it doesn't respect active brush scaling, so all images are drawn at the original scale of the selected brush. Initially, I hoped to have an options to paint smaller versions based on the density map, but dynamic brush scaling isn't exposed in the scripting API (yet).

-Rob A>
    This is a bit like saying:

"I've found a way of teaching my dog how to play chess, but he's not very good as he's unable to master the Vienna Gambit."

So does any of this port over to the PhotoShop tools at all? I know there are scatter settings on brushes, would it be similar to that?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    So does any of this port over to the PhotoShop tools at all? I know there are scatter settings on brushes, would it be similar to that?
    Nah - not at all

One of the "advantages" of GIMP over PS, is that any (power) user can easily program extra functions in via python or scheme scripts

I believe in PhotoShop, you can record actions, but can't easily program in pixel based functions.

-Rob A>

Hm... I could have sworn that PS has pixel based scripting. Looks like I may have to do some research...

Yup. I just confirmed it. PS has full pixel based scripting using Java it looks like. It has classes for every element in the window down to the pixels themselves apparently. Never tried it, but I knew it could be done.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

This is a great idea. I noticed though, that you have trees in various colors. How do you get this to happen?

When I first tried to use this, I was using transparent brushes, which I have found doesn't work if the density is greater than the very sparse. I ended up layering color behind one, merging down, and making a brush from the clipboard, but the trees all look identical that way. In your example there is at least color variance. Is this a difference in how I am implementing the script, or did you recolor them afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    This is a great idea. I noticed though, that you have trees in various colors. How do you get this to happen?

When I first tried to use this, I was using transparent brushes, which I have found doesn't work if the density is greater than the very sparse. I ended up layering color behind one, merging down, and making a brush from the clipboard, but the trees all look identical that way. In your example there is at least color variance. Is this a difference in how I am implementing the script, or did you recolor them afterwards?
    My guess is he used an animated brush in the first place...ie a .gih brush with multiple brush images, similar to .gif
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    My guess is he used an animated brush in the first place...ie a .gih brush with multiple brush images, similar to .gif
    Ding! Ding!

That is correct. I was using a Gimp Image Hose made of a number of tree variations. All my gimp tree brushes are coloured image hoses, so they can be transparent with solid backgrounds. Even the B&W outline ones I make are full colour, with the outline (black) and the tree fill (white) so they will overlap without showing though.

-Rob A>

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    That is correct. I was using a Gimp Image Hose made of a number of tree variations. All my gimp tree brushes are coloured image hoses, so they can be transparent with solid backgrounds. Even the B&W outline ones I make are full colour, with the outline (black) and the tree fill (white) so they will overlap without showing though.
    For those of us less savvy, how does one manage to make and set up one of these Gimp Image Hoses?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is the tutorial I follow whenever I find a need to do it (I don't do it often enough to have it memorized).

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast