Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rivers using Heirarchical Poisson Disc and Delaunay Triangulation

Blog Entries

I just saw this link below posted on ycombinator about calculating voroni patches and wondered if this would be useful for this process. What I particularly liked was that you can rapidly get the distance from the points. Surely that has great implications for calculating the river flow. I can see that this could be useful for other things too like city mapping where the probability of putting stuff down depends on its closeness to a resource. I was doing something similar to this when trying to find the closest route from person to resource in my mapping with economics thing and I used a similar but not nearly as effective way of doing it.

http://rykap.com/graphics/skew/2016/...onoi-diagrams/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I just saw this link below posted on ycombinator about calculating voroni patches and wondered if this would be useful for this process. What I particularly liked was that you can rapidly get the distance from the points. Surely that has great implications for calculating the river flow. I can see that this could be useful for other things too like city mapping where the probability of putting stuff down depends on its closeness to a resource. I was doing something similar to this when trying to find the closest route from person to resource in my mapping with economics thing and I used a similar but not nearly as effective way of doing it.

http://rykap.com/graphics/skew/2016/...onoi-diagrams/
    The voronoi/delaunay calculation I'm currently using JTS for really isn't a significant part of the time it takes. I do it just once. Initial generation of the points, and the weighted random selection are what slow it down. Once I get the tile based stippling working again (doing proper, stable, non-hacked together implementation was the original point of this project) the point generation should be plenty fast. That leaves weighted random selection which I've done a bit of thinking about, but for now it's good enough for the kind of use cases I have in mind for this software.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123