Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Subterrainian Map Prettier Script

OK -

Here is the GIMP script. This includes both the dungeon map maker (under filters) and the batch processor for applying the same filter on a bunch of files in a directory (under Xtns in the main Gimp window)

Enjoy!

EDIT: There is an update to the script in this post that fixes one little bug, and allows for downloading a random cave map of the internet as a base map!

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Inspired by Tim's maps, I banged out a quick example of the script:

I used a solid white fill for the BG, java (coffee beans) for the walls, and set the distortion to 50%, grid at 24 px.

Here was the input (traced quickly over tim's map with rounded rectangles and circles):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm_in.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	6179

And the result of the script after adjusting the shadow layer curve and drawing a few doors in with a door brush I made up:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm_out.png 
Views:	480 
Size:	667.4 KB 
ID:	6180

-Rob A>

Hey, you just put me out of work! Replaced by an script. What's this world coming to! LOL!

Nice work, Rob. I might have to start using GIMP to take advantage of your expertise.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Hey, you just put me out of work! Replaced by an script. What's this world coming to! LOL!
    Certainly not my intent! Consider it more of an homage And personally, I'd rather build a tool to help me do what I need over doing it repeatedly... might be why I'm an engineer and not an artist

I just wanted to demonstrate that the script could also create a more old school style map - no just a semi-realistic one.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Certainly not my intent! Consider it more of an homage And personally, I'd rather build a tool to help me do what I need over doing it repeatedly... might be why I'm an engineer and not an artist
    LOL! Don't worry, I took it as a compliment. I was just kidding around. The script did a pretty cool job and if I was using GIMP I would probably use it as well. I'm all for saving time when working on a project.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

I reckon there is two (at least) reasons to embrace scripting. One is that it gives you much more time to faff with the interesting details and two, you can change the basic floor plan and rerun it. I am an engineer over artist too and I always think that with extra scripting in the hands of an artists it ought to push the maps further beyond my ability to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    OK -

Here is the GIMP script. This includes both the dungeon map maker (under filters) and the batch processor for applying the same filter on a bunch of files in a directory (under Xtns in the main Gimp window)

Enjoy!

-Rob A>
    Oh ty ty RobA. This will help me for sure doing my dungeon maps. Will give it a shot as soon as I got some spare time and will post my result.

Thanks again RobA.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Fantastic! Thanks so much for this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast