Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Subterrainian Map Prettier Script

I thought I was aligned with the grid provided by the Gimp (drawn almost entirely with snap to grid enable) but it's more than possible I screwed something up.

I do notice that the examples that other people have used don't seem to have the problem I'm having which means it's more than likely it's my fault.

I can probably adjust that myself, I should probably dig through the script itself anyway for learning purposes.

Edit: Oh crap! Nevermind. I just realized why it's happening.. more importantly why it's *suddenly* happening when I dont' remember noticing it before:

I drew my alpha (is that the right term) by snapping to grid, but on a really huge image so I was sure not to run out of room. Then I cut the actual image out, without paying attention to the grid, and pasted into a new image. So yep.. my fault :p
    Last edited by jgerman; 09-28-2008 at 11:17 PM.

wow that's nice ummmm I just have to ask, wha'ts the script??? How do I use it, I want to use this for my maps for gimp, I mean this would be like awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    wow that's nice ummmm I just have to ask, wha'ts the script??? How do I use it, I want to use this for my maps for gimp, I mean this would be like awesome.

Download from this post: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...6&postcount=11

Unzip the file into your gimpxx/scripts folder. This is typically somewhere in your user directory. On Vista for me, this is under C:\Users\Joe Frazier Jr\.gimp-2.6\scripts. On WinXP, change Users to Documents and Settings and of course, change your username and the gimp version you have installed.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

ok I'm just wondering if there is a tutorial also for using the scripts and stuff. I think this is awesome, but I'm new to gimp.

Guild Journeyer

I was worried about how to use it, but it turns out its really easy. Once you have placed the file in the directory, then just draw the black and white layout then open the filters menu and at the bottom should be an option for the map prettier script, select this and you get various options, for the first time round leave them at default and hit ok.

Hey RobA, just wanted to mention that this script seems to be getting some use for MapTool maps as indicated by this thread: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic....831&highlight=
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks to Isomage's random cave script and his support in adding a URL rewrite to his website I have updated this script.

Now, by checking a single tick box you can source a randomly generated cave from isomage's server and the script will run on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-12-06_134004.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	8223

The filename will be the seed value, so if you want to generate it again (say at a different grid size) with the same seed just untick the "Use a random seed" option and type in the seed you want.

The random caves are created using a 16x16 grid and are enlarged by this script to match the "Grid Size" parameter, so the best results will come by adding some distortion using the distort amount slider to reduce the blockyness.

Oh yeah - you will (obviously) need an internet connection for this option to work

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey RobA,

First of all, thanks for making such a great script! I do have one question for you though. Is there any way to set a color to be used for the walls, rather than automatically using every color other than the "open floor" color? I ask this because it would be very helpful in easily creating areas with multiple tilesets, or even above ground structures and buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgain Roffles View Post
    Hey RobA,

First of all, thanks for making such a great script! I do have one question for you though. Is there any way to set a color to be used for the walls, rather than automatically using every color other than the "open floor" color? I ask this because it would be very helpful in easily creating areas with multiple tilesets, or even above ground structures and buildings.
    Oh yeah, sure.

Attached is the updated script. I pulled out the online download from isomage as it would sometimes cause gimp to hang.

There is a new parameter where you select if the colour match is floor or walls. I gave it a quick test, seems good.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast