Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

I agree completely with groovey. The differences with the real climate map of Earth are minimal. Astonishing!

Do you need another guinea pig? I have height, ocean currents and wind maps ready, but I'll have to redo temperature and precipitation maps. I'd be interested to follow your procedure and see what the result of it is.

Cheers - Akubra
    “I am an agnostic on most matters of faith, but on the subject of maps I have always been a true believer. It is on the map, therefore it is, and I am.”
    ― Tony Horwitz, One for the Road: An Outback Adventure

You are clearly aiming at a high level of accuracy. That is awesome but makes me wonder how do you produce temperature and rain maps with that level of certainty for an imaginary world.. can't wait to see the rest of your tutorial.

Cheers!!

Can't wait either, it's better be amazing!
    The problem is that I started with the last part of the process (your step 7 if I recall).
    Now I got to figure how to make the first part fit.

You're doing an impressive and very detailed work on this Azelor!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You're doing an impressive and very detailed work on this Azelor!
    Thanks! Hopefully, it will be simple enough to be considered manageable for those interested.

I'm now working of the altitude vs temperature. It does not give precise results and I don't think it will. Explanation:

I'm using temperature average, not the exact values. The temperature decrease slowly with elevation. If a category includes temperatures between 22 to 28, and the other is between 18 and 22 (for example), the change in the temperature color represents the change from 22 to 21. It's a small change normally. But since I'm using categories, I have no idea what the exact temperature is. Therefore, it's a change between the average of 22-28 (25) and 18-22 (20). From 25 to 20.

It means that the "lowest" temperatures of the first category sometimes appear hotter that what they should be in reality and some areas of the latter category will appear colder. But I have no idea how to do otherwise.
    I was thinking I could select an elevation and expand the selection but some area are steep, others are flats, I have no idea what the exact temperatures are and the temperature variation is not the same everywhere.

What I'm going to do is just to use this simple formula: sea level temperature - (6.49 °C/1,000 m)

Using the average of each temperature category, lower the temperature according the the altitude. When the temperature reaches the average of a lower category, lower the temperature to that category.

Unless someone has a better idea?

EDIT: I'm mostly done with the temperature part. I just need to figure how to place some of the most extreme categories and make a final version of the instructions.
    Last edited by Azélor; 09-03-2015 at 12:47 AM.

This is the result. It still need to patching but it's looks pretty god. I just need to make a final version of the instructions and maybe some adjustment to normalize things.
    Then, it's onto the precipitations but I think I will take a break before starting the next step.

temperature maps for January and July

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antarctica Jan.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	75807
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antarctica July.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	75808

I'm a bit surprised, are the temperature that hot in January, in the south Bolivia/NW Argentina?

Yes but actually, it's hard to find data to confirm it. Several places in Argentina are on the fringe between 27 and 28. Paraguay has a few over 28 but barely (28.2).

Hey!

I'm a conworlder looking to decide my conworld's climates some day, and I love what you're doing with this tutorial! I can't wait to see the full, re-worked version! Especially since it'll be the first version I actually see. But honestly, this looks like what I've been looking for in regards to actually doing my climates.

Just for the record, are the bits on page 4 actually part of the tutorial, or just notes? Just trying to get a better idea of what's going on here.

It's more like a draft.

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast