Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Guild Apprentice

How is everyone doing? Frequent lurker, very rare poster. Been working on my own map, struggling a bit with second guessing myself on some of the preliminary steps like setting up the water currents and air pressure to even really get into the nitty gritty of this tutorial.

Thanks for the tutorial by the way!

Does it look like my water currents and air pressure/currents seem okay?

Water Currents
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Endless Horizons Water Currents.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	732.7 KB 
ID:	130459

Air Current (Jan)

Name:	Endless Horizons Jan Air.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	575.7 KB 
ID:	130460

Air Current (July)

Name:	Endless Horizons July Air.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	580.0 KB 
ID:	130461

And why yes, this is Earth 50 million years in the future, based on Christopher Scotese's work ( https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._in_the_Future )

So, after redoing Temperature/precipitation maps for my planet because I didn't like how it turned out, I got an error when using the skcc.py code for Holdridge zones:

"Error: Invalid Holdridge category in output profile: Af"

Unfortunately, this type of error isn't listed in the ReadMe; could someone kindly tell me what that means?

The command code I used to run it is as follows:
    py ./skcc.py --tempns="JulTemp.png" --tempnw="JanTemp.png" --precns="JulPrecip.png" --precnw="JanPrecip.png" --tempprof="actualTempProfile" --precprof="actualPrecProfile" --outprof="defaultOutputProfile" --mode=holdridge --outfile="output.png"

Holdridge mode has different output categories than Köppen mode (since it's a different classification system) - the repository should include an appropriate default output profile for that mode too, but it is a different file. Instead of --outprof="defaultOutputProfile" (which contains the Köppen output coloring categories like Af) use --outprof="holdridgeDefaultOutputProfile", and that should fix that problem.

Hi, I haven't posted for a long time, but I've recently been making another attempt at a semi-realistic climate map. I am following Azelor's tutorial "by hand" (no scripts), and the map here is just a rough draft for now as I fine tune it.

I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable members here could help me with a few climate questions. I have marked the areas I have questions about on the map with numbers. I have also marked the Jan/July ITCZ and relevant currents (blue=cold current, red = warm current).

Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 18.31.53.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	132825

Some questions:

1) The eastern continent only has a small tropical landmass, surrounded by a large body of ocean in tropics, so I have assumed the summer winds don't converge quite as far north as they do in Asia. I could be wrong though? Perhaps the July ITCZ should remain more northern across the ocean as it leaves the central continent, then extending to ~30N in the eastern continent? This would give this continent a more monsoon-influenced climate.

2) I am quite unsure about the general climate of the "long narrow" landmass of the central continent. It is largely within the subtropical ridge (20-40N). It receives a warm current on its southern side, and a cold (polar) current on its northern side. During winter, the Westerlies' influence is quite strong reaching about 30N, giving a band of Mediterranean-like climate as the Westerlies retreat northwards in summer. However: I am unsure whether it should be this dry overall: I have no idea where the winds would be blowing on the landmass in most of this region. Below 20N to the equator, the trade winds would be quite stable as the ITCZ remains around the equator here year-round. I think the land wouldn't develop any strong high or low pressure zones either. Perhaps the southern warm-current and northern cold-current would have a strong effect I haven't accounted for?

3) I have given the eastern half of "long-narrow" a fully-humid subtropical climate, as it receives poleward winds from the high-pressure zone to the east, similar to North America's east coast or China. It borders a patch of Mediterranean climate, as I think there would be a small high-pressure centre to the north in summer (due to the cold current meeting the hot land), but this might be unrealistic?

4) In the tropical centre of the continent, I expect that the northern half will be overall drier, as the winds mostly blow overland from the north to the ITCZ. The winds coming from the south might be wetter, as they cross more ocean. Around 10N to the west, there is a kind of "reverse-Somalia" – I thought the winds here blow parallel to the coast, coming overland through a desert, so there is little precipitation. Perhaps the warm winds would actually blow more onshore (eastwards) here, and warm current could make this area (10-20N) wetter? (I find that these little details are what make climate so interesting.)

5) In the South-Eastern part of the main continent, I have given it a large "winter dry" subtropical climate. In winter, I imagine most of the winds will be blowing offshore towards the ITCZ in the north. Perhaps the far-eastern coast should be "fully-humid" (like China), where the high-pressure meets wet air from the ocean even in winter?

6) I'm unsure if I've properly factored in how the "triangle-shaped" body of water would affect climate here? I imagine there'd more or less be a semi-permanent high due to the cold current, so I've made both sides quite arid.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you!

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Charerg! I am once again impressed by your work! Could you except my friend request? I want to ask you some questions because I want to do something similar with the greenhouse Earth climate, especially with the poles having rainforests. Also, I sent you a private message asking you some questions about this. I am new and I want to learn more about how to do this! Thanks!

It's been a while since I worked on climates (although I'll be starting again as I re-work my world geography) so I'm quite rusty, but I'll do my best to answer some of your questions. Overall I think it would be helpful if you could post your input maps from topography onwards for us to review; otherwise it's hard to answer some of these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    Hi, I haven't posted for a long time, but I've recently been making another attempt at a semi-realistic climate map. I am following Azelor's tutorial "by hand" (no scripts), and the map here is just a rough draft for now as I fine tune it.

I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable members here could help me with a few climate questions. I have marked the areas I have questions about on the map with numbers. I have also marked the Jan/July ITCZ and relevant currents (blue=cold current, red = warm current).

Some questions:

1) The eastern continent only has a small tropical landmass, surrounded by a large body of ocean in tropics, so I have assumed the summer winds don't converge quite as far north as they do in Asia. I could be wrong though? Perhaps the July ITCZ should remain more northern across the ocean as it leaves the central continent, then extending to ~30N in the eastern continent? This would give this continent a more monsoon-influenced climate.
    I'd say that the July ICTZ should move further north there; note that on Earth the ICTZ is pulled northwards by the Mesoamerican peninsula, which is even narrower. Your instinct that the continent should be more monsoon-influenced seems correct to me.

2) I am quite unsure about the general climate of the "long narrow" landmass of the central continent. It is largely within the subtropical ridge (20-40N). It receives a warm current on its southern side, and a cold (polar) current on its northern side. During winter, the Westerlies' influence is quite strong reaching about 30N, giving a band of Mediterranean-like climate as the Westerlies retreat northwards in summer. However: I am unsure whether it should be this dry overall: I have no idea where the winds would be blowing on the landmass in most of this region. Below 20N to the equator, the trade winds would be quite stable as the ITCZ remains around the equator here year-round. I think the land wouldn't develop any strong high or low pressure zones either. Perhaps the southern warm-current and northern cold-current would have a strong effect I haven't accounted for?
    I don't have a great answer for this; certainly there should be some desert there in the subtropical latitudes, but my instinct is that there's probably a little too much at the moment. I think the continent is large enough for there to be at least some small high and low pressure zones, and thus some monsoon rains to moisten up the coast at least. My sense is that the hot desert reaches a little too close to the equator in the south; by 15º or so N or S the equatorial rains usually create at least a steppe or savanna climate. It's also hard to tell if there's any topography affecting precipitation, blocking monsoon rains and/or creating orographic lift.

3) I have given the eastern half of "long-narrow" a fully-humid subtropical climate, as it receives poleward winds from the high-pressure zone to the east, similar to North America's east coast or China. It borders a patch of Mediterranean climate, as I think there would be a small high-pressure centre to the north in summer (due to the cold current meeting the hot land), but this might be unrealistic?
    That seems more or less correct to me.

4) In the tropical centre of the continent, I expect that the northern half will be overall drier, as the winds mostly blow overland from the north to the ITCZ. The winds coming from the south might be wetter, as they cross more ocean. Around 10N to the west, there is a kind of "reverse-Somalia" – I thought the winds here blow parallel to the coast, coming overland through a desert, so there is little precipitation. Perhaps the warm winds would actually blow more onshore (eastwards) here, and warm current could make this area (10-20N) wetter? (I find that these little details are what make climate so interesting.)
    This is why it would be useful to see your input maps; I can't tell which way the winds are blowing here so it's hard to answer this question. If they're coming from the west, then the area should be wet. If they're coming from the inland to the east then maybe it would be a bit dryer, but I think it should be predominately west winds at this latitude, which would give the coast a monsoon climate even if there's a desert to the northwest. Note that the reason Somalia is so dry is that the Sahel and the Ethiopian Highlands block all the monsoon winds coming from the west; if anything it might be dryer in the eastern part rather than the west.

5) In the South-Eastern part of the main continent, I have given it a large "winter dry" subtropical climate. In winter, I imagine most of the winds will be blowing offshore towards the ITCZ in the north. Perhaps the far-eastern coast should be "fully-humid" (like China), where the high-pressure meets wet air from the ocean even in winter?
    My instinct is that this should be more humid, or at least some of that area, but again it's a little hard to see without seeing your maps of the winds and pressure zones. Also, if there are any mountains here topography would make somewhat of a difference.

6) I'm unsure if I've properly factored in how the "triangle-shaped" body of water would affect climate here? I imagine there'd more or less be a semi-permanent high due to the cold current, so I've made both sides quite arid.
    That seems correct to me, though I'm not 100% sure; the current would be the main part of this that would have any influence.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you!
    It looks great overall by the way! Love the land shapes. My only other minor correction is that the islands in the far east of the eastern continent should be tropical rainforest at that latitude.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiluchi View Post
    It's been a while since I worked on climates (although I'll be starting again as I re-work my world geography) so I'm quite rusty, but I'll do my best to answer some of your questions. Overall I think it would be helpful if you could post your input maps from topography onwards for us to review; otherwise it's hard to answer some of these questions.

I'd say that the July ICTZ should move further north there; note that on Earth the ICTZ is pulled northwards by the Mesoamerican peninsula, which is even narrower. Your instinct that the continent should be more monsoon-influenced seems correct to me.

I don't have a great answer for this; certainly there should be some desert there in the subtropical latitudes, but my instinct is that there's probably a little too much at the moment. I think the continent is large enough for there to be at least some small high and low pressure zones, and thus some monsoon rains to moisten up the coast at least. My sense is that the hot desert reaches a little too close to the equator in the south; by 15º or so N or S the equatorial rains usually create at least a steppe or savanna climate. It's also hard to tell if there's any topography affecting precipitation, blocking monsoon rains and/or creating orographic lift.

That seems more or less correct to me.

This is why it would be useful to see your input maps; I can't tell which way the winds are blowing here so it's hard to answer this question. If they're coming from the west, then the area should be wet. If they're coming from the inland to the east then maybe it would be a bit dryer, but I think it should be predominately west winds at this latitude, which would give the coast a monsoon climate even if there's a desert to the northwest. Note that the reason Somalia is so dry is that the Sahel and the Ethiopian Highlands block all the monsoon winds coming from the west; if anything it might be dryer in the eastern part rather than the west.

My instinct is that this should be more humid, or at least some of that area, but again it's a little hard to see without seeing your maps of the winds and pressure zones. Also, if there are any mountains here topography would make somewhat of a difference.

That seems correct to me, though I'm not 100% sure; the current would be the main part of this that would have any influence.

It looks great overall by the way! Love the land shapes. My only other minor correction is that the islands in the far east of the eastern continent should be tropical rainforest at that latitude.
    Hey man! Hope you get into climates again!

Hey, AzureWings,

I downloaded the most recent (4 years old) version of correct_colors.py from GitHub, but I'm still getting the error:

No Such File or Directory: 'colors="defaultPrecProfile"

Am I supposed to use some other color profile?
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061