Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] World Map construction thread

and apparently, considering that we need to delete some island but also add others that have holes inside, we have around 25% of land (24,8 exactly ). It's a difference of 8,3% form earth, and roughly the size of North America. Sorry, I'm just surprised that we should add a whole continent while it's seems fine. It's the size of the central eastern continent, excluding surrounding islands but including that most gaps are filled. look it's the size of the orange spot:

Attachment 66351

There is enough room for a new continent if you are interested.

I really like that Northern sea actually, I'd like to keep it as is personally. Perhaps we could find room for something half the size of that orange circle somewhere else? Maybe put in a small continent and the long islands back in the SE corner? As far as I'm concerned we don't need to bring it up to Earth standard, I'm fine with having comparably less land than we do on earth Earth, but not more. TBH I like the map as is though. Maybe we can keep a lost or wandering continent for later?

As for the islands we can leave them or separate them to a new layer for now and then when we get the tectonics down edit them according to what seems reasonably geographicly reasonable. Except for the moon island you moved to the direct centre of the map, that needs to stay.

I think Thurlor's South pole island needs to move north a bit or get squished a bit as it gets too elongated on the orthographic projection.

I really don't understand the resolution stuff so much clearly, so whatever is reasonable is what we should do. I don't understand what difference the dpi has to do with what is on screen (ie the pixel count), I thought it only had an effect regarding printing.

Are you really planning on doing one from scratch? Seems like a greater amount of work than necessary for a map only intended to give very general details.

Right, I don't need the HD map now. I need to wait after the tectonic map, because it's possible that we need to adapt the map. But I would like to do it before the mapping frenzy.

It's possible to gain some land here and there. For example, I filled some gaps in the north pole (covered by ice anyway) and some holes in the east central continent. I don't know if they were intended or not.
    Attachment 66355

Or I could let some gap one to create some passages like we can see here :
    Attachment 66356

We still have a smaller continent in the east almost touching the other one.

I tried to avoid filling things that I thought interesting because we do need some significant inland bodies of water. Earth has the Great Lakes, lake Victoria, the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea. Just look at the Canadian shield its riddled with very large lakes.

Perhaps we can modify your original suggestion and put stuff in the blue blob and put those super long islands next to it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Co-op proposal suggest1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	745.4 KB 
ID:	66358

I know we need lakes, it just looked better without them.

Attachment 66363

and no I think it's better to left that spot empty for now at least.

some Islands in the south are probably too small and do not match well with the rest.
    Thurlor is still too close from the pole.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-06-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Hmm I thought it looked good with them. They resulted from mashing around landmasses not too dissimilar from tectonic activity if it's any comfort I found that trying to put them in afterwards they never looked right, so when they occurred "naturally" I decided to leave em.

Yeah I think you are right about that blue spot, for some reason I find that empty area in the North sea really compelling.

You've done a lot of work cleaning it up, thank you.

I did some tests with the tectonic and relief based on the maps submitted. It's possible to split some plates and change direction. Also, feel free to comment about the elevation or relief map. I'm not too sure what it is, but when it's done we could do a proper elevation map with 5 to 10 levels or a bit more if we also include ocean depths. 3 would be enough for the ocean. By elevation map, I mean something between this and this http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...telcolored.png
    so something like the fractal terrain map : http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...onc_plates.png

Plate 1 ? could be on plate 1,2 or on it's own plate. Keeping it on plate 1 is the worst option I think.
    ? is because I'm not sure if they deserve their own plates. Your continent (closest to the center) share similarities with the rest of plate 2 and Thurlor (by default) do not have any particular land features (no mountains).
    2 ? probably deserve it's own plate, mostly an oceanic plate covering the north sea and much of the pole. The drifting direction could change.
    Should plate 1 direction change toward the south?

Attachment 66383

Don't know about the elevations just yet. I'm curious why you filled the inlet in the north pole?

Here is a tectonic suggestion based off of yours:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tectonic activity suggest1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	532.4 KB 
ID:	66384
    Plate 5, 7, and 11 are moving in a bit of a spin, 5 is in a heavy spin.

Also I moved the Thurlor Spray islands in the SE corner a bit farther north as they suffer greatly in projection compression. As an approach to the plates I think if we do too many and then fuse those we deem unnecessary it might be a more workable option?

I think we need to try to do elevation and tectonic at the same time. We do have some room for decisions to place mountains.

Between 7 and 9 : high plateaus and some mountains. It might look similar to my original proposition for the contest unless you have something better. The continent (our biggest but excluding surrounding islands) is about the size of Eurasia without their islands.

Plate 8: something similar to my contest entry.

4: I just tried to remake your continent.

I suppose that 6/12 will have huge mountains. Possibly the highest, rendering the landscape inhospitable. Like Patagonia but bigger and possibly worst. But the southern part should be temperate.

5: outside the south west mountains, I have no idea. It depend how the lakes formed it the first place. From my readings, at the equator large lakes form with the drifting of the plates. In the north, it can be the result of ice melting but not that far south. If they receive large amount of rain, it can accumulate providing they have an endorheic bassin. Are they freshwater lakes or inland sea like the Black Sea or completely closed sea like the Caspian sea ?

South pole: no idea either

North pole: sorry, do you want me to revert the change? I was trying to get more land. It's still a depression covered by ice. Or is it possibler to have land under the ocean level in that region since precipitations are so low ?

And I'm not sure 7 should spin. 5 could spin clockwise

note: names would be useful

For 7 and 9 I like your original elevation proposition. We could knock the tip off of Azelorland in the north part and have it be like India alone on its own plate, which wuold allow us to divide it with your original proposition lines. It would be sandwiched between 11, 2, 1, and 7. And very likely also be an area of extreme activity.

I see ocean trenches forming between 11 and 12, as well as 6 and 8. Was thinking 8 might be better off moving in a more NW direction. Which would put another trench between 8 and 3.

6 and 12 I was just kind of thinking with a pen your plate division through the sea may make more sense. I'm not sure in my plan they are really reasonable.

5 just made the most sense to me spinning with a deep trench forming between the two land masses but also packing land along the same edge in the NW direction. For the lakes and things I have no idea, perhaps that side of the plate is getting pushed under 11? Doesn't seem likely though. Perhaps its as a result of a fused plate? Can that happen? In my head I was imagining it as a bunch of fjords mixed with the Canadian shield type thing. As far as precipitation based freshwater/ small lakes I was thinking we figure that out more once we get a precipitation map idea going.

North Pole: No it was my suspicion that was the reason, but I can't imagine it was very effective at balancing the numbers, it is a very small patch of sea. The reason it's there is I was imagining it as a usable navigable seaway in some manner with a port in the deep protection, maybe for some forlorn kingdom. But you are right, within any realistic reason it would be packed deep with ice. It's up to you if you want to revert it or not. For more land we could consider more in the 10 plate or along the edge where it meets 9, and 11. Or we could add some on plate 2 where 1 is smashing into it (and presumably (did you know "assumingly" wasn't a word? Why not?) going under it).

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast