Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] World Map construction thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Working names.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	66392
    Here's some names for ya, :p

I'M sure Thurlor is ok having a continent with his name.
    Falconia is not bad but the rest is not very....

let's just pretend I never asked.

well I'm glad that : View Profile: masturben - Cartographers' Guild
    is not part of the project.

7/9 Ok

11/12 and 6/8 ok it make sense. 8 should move toward NW. 5 IS MOVING MORE TO THE SOUTH AND GRINDING WITH 8, CREATING THE MOUNTAINS. (SORRY FOR THE CAPS)

6/12 look at my new map, is it better that way ?

5: the eastern coast of North America was formed by successive plate collisions, creating several rift over time. That is where the Great Lakes are today.

North pole: Ok we will keep it then. We should have enough land for now. Maybe when I will redraw the map, I will try to put more land here and there, subtly. And moving some continents closer to the equator. One pixel at a time: 6 250 000 pixels left. (at the equator because this number increases as you get closer to the poles)

Update: I splited the north pole from 6: but I admit that I'm just making it spin around.
    South pole is moving toward 9/7 and aways from 4
    3 can move in any direction, im ok with SW, maybe we can unite 3 and Thurlor ? or not
    I'm not too sure about the plausibility of plate 2. Should I split the eastern part ?
    added Plate 13 to make it look more like Japan

that's about all for now, am I forgetting something ? If it's good I could do a final revision tomorrow and ask people what they think here: Regional/World Mapping

Attachment 66395

And without wasting time, I made some basic oceanic current map

Attachment 66396

I think the tectonics look pretty good. Definitely creates a lot of possibilities.
    “What is a fantasy map but a space beyond which There Be Dragons? On the Discworld we know that There Be Dragons Everywhere. They might not all have scales and forked tongues, but they Be Here all right, grinning and jostling and trying to sell you souvenirs. ”
    ~~ Terry Pratchett

- My fantasy gamebook
    - My old Traveller actual play podcast
    - My upcoming DND cloak and dagger actual play podcast

The currents plan looks fine to me. I'd of thought the channel between Cyrus and Dearmash flows the other way though.

Name:	Tectonic activity suggest2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	723.2 KB 
ID:	66399
    On the Earth tectonic map there seem to be dedicated ocean plates so I increased the size of 3, and put in the one on the north sea again but think I may have made it too big or not the right shape.
    I think the Thurlor Islands should be moved north more and spun which ever way makes sense to align them properly, maybe increased in size slightly, that should give a fair amount of land gain. They look like a cousin (well they are since Thurlor's map was also the source) for the happening on the east coast of Falconia so maybe should be put in some sort of relation to that?

For plate 13 you might want to naggle it a little more north and reduce the size a little so the island are closer to the fault on the right edge. Perhaps think about reshaping plate 1 so that Blap makes more sense in that interaction there.

On the south pole I've noticed you keep increasing the land area but I liked what you first had down there where it was really lopsided and more island like. ever since Waldonrate mentioned it the centred South pole has been nagging me. I would suggest we do a bunch of islands rather than a land massed pole but getting them right in this projection is also remarkably difficult. I removed the fault between Thurloria and the SP but was just tinkering and seeing how it looked. No idea if it makes sense or not.

As for the final revision go for it. I'm pretty happy with what we got and as I said earlier I'm taking whatever it is at the end of the week which is now.

Edit: Another solution to increasing the land size is to just slightly scale up some of the continents a bit, that way they don't have to be moved around all that much.
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-08-2014 at 04:08 AM.

I just realized that the colors are very different in our two images.

I'm not 100% sure about the water currents in that area.

plate 3: ok
    thurlor island ok and changed direction of plate 10
    13 ok ?
    south pole: Im not sure what you have in mind

Attachment 66412

Yeah looks good except for the plates in the North sea. The reason I arranged it this way is that it looks more right to me. I moved the North Pole fault line down to give reason for those Islands in the middle of nowhere, we might as well call the Iceland at this point, they are in about the right place and the cause of their formation might as well be the same too.

Plate 8, 12, and ten I suggested an alteration to their movement directions a little, but not enough to effect any big changes.

With Plate 9 I was toying with the idea of having a small plate at the end there. Not too sure about it though. Perhaps if it was actually also part of 13?

I tried moving the Thurlor Islands a bit but liked them more where you had them, only they looked too close to Falconis to me but they also look interesting so I think we ought to leave 'em in the position you had 'em.

Name:	Tectonic activity suggest3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	722.5 KB 
ID:	66446

I'm happy enough with our progress to go with whatever you revise for the plates at this point, so we can start detailing the currents and elevations if you provide a clean copy of the map mask. No need for high res yet though, not until the end.

If you change the direction of plate 8 you might also want to move the 8/5 fault line to the west, into the ocean unless you want to split the continent apart.

I'm not sure if islands should be located only near the fault lines. But I'm ok with it. Geologically, yes it look like Iceland but the climate and social aspects are going to be very different. Just getting there looks complicated. The main currents are several hundred kilometers away. And I don't know about the winds yet but I think it could be colder.

12: ok, it doesn't change much anyway.

9: no i think we are fine without a new plate

Thurlor: I was thinking the same thing

By a clean copy, you mean a map without false islands and with just the landmasses? Yes I could do that.

No I meant a map without a bunch of lines scribbled all over it We might as well have one as this is what we are going to be working with from now on. I'm still not sure about erasing all the little false islands since the fact is they are much harder to put in later. Maybe separate them out and we can drop them in the final copy where they look reasonable.

8/5 yeah I think it makes more sense farther to the west in any case.
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-10-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast