Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: [CWBP2] World Map construction thread

Thanks. I could have used one already made but I could not find one that I liked.

Do you mind if I/people in general use it? I've never really liked the letter keys, myself.

Feel free to use it. Climates also have names, I could have used them instead of letters but the names do not add much clarification. And climates indicates a combination of temperature and precipitation not the vegetation itself. For example: Dwa and Dfa have pretty much the same vegetation despite their differences/ some desert are completely dry while others have some life... Also, other factors than climate can influence the sort of vegetation found is some areas. A dry climate receiving a lot of rain from uphill might be able to sustain a forest.

You are working on something particular?

Not one project in particular, although I suppose it would be useful for this.

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Not one project in particular, although I suppose it would be useful for this.
    Yes, they defiantly used too many symbols for each biome.

On another topic, I was wondering what the others are thinking about making the central continent (the one almost all covered by the tropical rain forest) to be sort of a lost continent. I'm not sure if it's the best word for my idea.

The continent was separated form the other landmasses a long time ago. We can suppose that he managed to remain close to the equator and was able to minimize climatic variation over a long period. Thus, it has a unique and probably very ancient fauna/flora. But not necessarily dinosaurs. It might have a small local population hunter gatherer but most of the continent is not habitable for foreigners. It's much different from elsewhere and the diseases are killing them. Because of that, it is unsettled just like European could not settle in Africa before the Victorian era. Except for some places like South Africa.

That's my map... It's just the way that program works. I could just turn off the terrain icons, or manually remove them from all but a few hexes in each region, but that's a lot of work. Also, they're not supposed to represent biomes, per se, but specific features in the world. The tree icon doesn't mean "this is a forest biome," it literally demarcates where the forest itself is. The mountain doesn't mean "this region is mountainous," it means "there is a mountain here." Does that make sense? Obviously, the two meanings are very similar (forests occur in forest biomes, mountains occur in mountain biomes), but there are more icons--and therefore features--than there are biomes.

Oups I meant definitely and not defiantly

Are there any plots still open or areas that need a cartographer? Maybe an old man trying to learn to map again?

Welcome to the Cartographer's Guild, Ravensworth. Most of the world map is still unclaimed. See this thread for the current state of things.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516