Thread: [CWBP2] Plot 003 - (WIP) - Broken Moon

Default [CWBP2] Plot 003 - (WIP) - Broken Moon

It's slow going so I haven't really felt the need to do a WIP yet but I figured I might as well get the ball rolling. Also I've almost reached a point at where I'm lost as to how and carry forward.

Here is my plot:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plot 3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	68177
    According to my rough measurement in Gimp the circle is about 73 pixels in diameter or about 292 kilometres. Being an island, and something I added to the original world map on a whim, I may change this arbitrarily to suit my needs or not. 292 kilometres seems a tad larger than what I was thinking in my first glimmer of this map.

For this map I was originally going to draw this island, but then figured why not sculpt it instead as my conception of it would suit that process quite well. So that is what I went with. The process of making the mold:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoldBeach1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	68178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoldBeach2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	68179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoldBeach3.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	68180
    I started with that giant green beach ball lubed it up and made a paper mache hat for it essentially. Unfortunately the only plaster I have access to at the moment is this awful wall plaster that literally takes days to dry. It is terrible and horrible to work with for my purposes, but it gets the job done I suppose.

So once taking it off the ball I waited for it to dry, then put some petroleum jelly release on the inside and threw in some more plaster:

Name:	Beachcast1.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	68181

Eventually ending up with this:

Name:	Beachcast2.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	68182

Great so now after a little clean up I have the original circular island though not quite as I planned as it was significantly thicker than I wanted. I took this laid it on a sheet of fibreboard (they ship wood sheets with this stuff on top to protect it, so I end up getting it for free) and tried to smash it so that it broke the right way... which it didn't:

Name:	BrokenMoon1.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	68183

It ended up quite different than I planned, and it broke way, way, different than I imagined it going, as you can see from the original plot blob. However I kind of like it now and it's perhaps more realistic in terms of my aims for this project.

The next step is for me to create a little lip and flatten out the particle board so that I can pour in a plaster ocean a couple of millimetres thick. Or so I hope, I have to do a test and see if this plaster self levels at all before that. Once that is done I'm not quite sure how I'm going to carry on. I thought I was going to paint it stark white and picking out details on the final shot of it in gimp, so it would sort of have a hand drawn/photo look to it. But I'm at a loss so far as to how and practically sculpt cities or forest on the surface with out it looking way off scale. Any ways that's where I'm at.

I love where this is going! For the cities, maybe carved wood would work better?

Good timing, I was just asking myself what style to use one my map.
    Sadly, not this.

But it does look promising. And it's not a problem if it ends up with a different shape. It's just a small archipelago in the middle of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    and tried to smash it so that it broke the right way... which it didn't:
    I'd have been astounded if you managed to smash a chunk of plaster and get the shapes you wanted!

I am looking forward to seeing how this develops. Looks promising!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yeah this is a trip. I'm in.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Not sure sure exactly what yer try'na do, but… watching with interest.

Blog Entries

there is a 3d version of that
    Blender has a physics engine and can simulate an explosion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTq9sLQOiVs

or in 3dstudio
    Creating an Exploding Planet | Max Cookie