Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Hooray! I like the results. Is there an opportunity to see the whole map with Menorias and Eoсidar? The map looks clean.
    The creation of subglacial relief is a really interesting thing, especially at polar latitudes, I really want to see your results. Finaly you can always hide them under a white spot - "glacier". Are you planning to make changes to the polar topography due to maximum glacier?

This is how the world map looks right now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr VI.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	130596

It displays pretty well how bad the distortion gets once you hit the 60+ latitudes. I recommend upload into Map to Globe (or similar) to get a 3D view . Although I purposefully left the extreme northenmost mountains pretty vague since I knew I'd need to work on them in a different projection than the one I used with Menorias.

@Harrg:
    I'll try to take the expansion of the glaciers into account in the topography (lots of lakes). Though I'll probably not go super-deep into detail in the world map (that is better left for regional maps).

EDIT:
    The average elevation of the whole continent (Eocidar) turned out as 630 metres, putting it in a similar ballpark to the Americas (North 610, South 560) and Africa (620).
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-26-2021 at 12:16 PM.

It looks much cooler on a sphere!
    I suspect Urgaleon and Uraduhr will be entirely covered by an ice cap, like Antarctica. And the relief will be strongly pressed in the center of the continent.
    The north of Menorias will probably be much more indented by fjords than it is now. Probably the best solution would be to finish the topography in northern Nemeias before crushing the world with an ice age.

Well, I finished the minor update on the rest of the continent (mostly just blurring out those aforementioned Wilbur-artifacts). I think I'll deal with the polar continents before doing more major revisions (there are a couple of areas that could use some further work).

Anyway, I experimented with another gradient (this time with the saturated colours originally used by Pixie). It turned out looking pretty good, though I still feel my scheme with the greater contrast is more practical while working on the elevations. But the more saturated scheme definitely gives a really nice look, with the colours blending together:

Name:	Aduhr VI.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	130647

Damn it looks really cool!

After a rather long time since the latest update, here's one. I've finished redrawing the coastlines of the polar continents, as well as going into bit more detail with their tectonic history (I might post something more detailed about that at some point). Work on the elevation map has also passed the low-res stage, this is how things look like:

Name:	Urgaleon post-lowres.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	133589

This is the deglaciated geography (still figuring out how I want to implement the glaciers).

Finaly! I waited ur update so much. It`s look very cool. You keep teasing us parts. can you show how the whole world map looks like now?

After something of a hiatus in the project, here's some fresh progress on Aduhr. So, here are the polar landmasses past the medium resolution stage:

Name:	Urgaleon post-medres.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	136193

Still deglaciated topograhy, though now that the high-res stage has been reached, I'll definitely be slapping the big ice sheet on top pretty soon (will have to develop a colour scheme for that).
    Last edited by Charerg; 08-14-2023 at 04:52 AM.

Hey, this looks fantastic Charerg! Thank you for being such a large inspiration (and help!) to me and my own project!

Super late to the party here, but this looks great! I'm really glad to see you're still working on this, even if it does put the rest of us to shame

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast