Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mars Map (redone)

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    A suggestion (and your free to take it or leave it or do anything you want with it): if your aim is to make it look like a habitable world with seas and rivers, you might wanna try eroding the landscape a bit before you start colouring it in (Wilbur might help there). At the moment it looks like a parched, pockmarked world someone just dumped a few billion gallons of water on. Everything is filled in nicely, but there's no sign of a history of sedimentation, erosion, ... as you would have in an actual river-and-ocean world.
    The scientific consensus at this point is that Mars was once a river-and-ocean world. It does have a history of sedimentation, erosion, and so on. The Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover has provided pretty unequivocal evidence for lots of water-influenced features. If Ilanthar used DEM data, then he's got those features already!

I think the issue you're seeing is that those features are difficult to see at the global scale of Ilanthar's map. And, in fact, every time NASA puts out a concept image of Mars in its primordial oceanic state, it looks kind of like a "pockmarked world someone just dumped a few billions gallons of water on."

Blog Entries

. If Ilanthar used DEM data, then he's got those features already!
    the problem is with the MOLA data

it is inferred from VERY sparse data using a spline curve fit ( i have work extensively with this data )
    the hirise stereo dems and stereo pairs of CTX images is needed
    this will be a while before it is near being done

the river flows and flood plains seen in the imaging data is really not in the mola dem
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

By Lingon
    Lol Ilanthar We should do a challenge of that, maps that look like animals…
    Something like "there's an animal hidden in this map, would you find it?" ?

A before/after comparison would be interesting for me!
    Sure, here's a quick explanation of my current work :
    A piece of the base map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	80966
    I just want the topography, so I removed the rest

Name:	clean.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	80967
    I turn it in grayscale

Name:	gray.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	80968
    Then a layer for the color of the water, and three other for the coastlines... My current test on a eighth of the map !

Name:	ezmars fe.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	80969
    What do you think of the coastlines?

I expand the colors and tried a few things. And I'm partly satisfied, the desert is probably too blank and to bright and I don't know if this is really working without getting further in the details anyway.

Name:	ezmars fe.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	80975

Many things are posing problems right now with this map... First, the source map is not using a gradiant from dark to bright for the altitude, hence a problem. Second, with this level of details, I realize than many rivers are just having impossible paths...
    My first try, with no corrections.

Name:	ezmars fev1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	81025
    Then I tried to correct the first issue by almost eliminating the constrast of the different colors, in PSP7.

Name:	ezmars fev2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	81026
    An other try with a comparable Inkscape filter.

Name:	ezmars fev3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	81027
    Which one do you find better?

Concerning the second problem, I think I'll probably change as much as I can the course of the problematic rivers...
    And I know I need to rework the snow. It's not at all what I want.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Something like "there's an animal hidden in this map, would you find it?" ?
    Hehehe, exactly Thanks for the explanation! I like to see other people's processes, there's always something to pick up, and understanding what you're doing makes it easier to comment too! I love the colors you're putting on this, very Ilanthar-esque Regarding the three versions, I like the last one, it's subtler in the shading which I think is what a map of this size and detail level needs. Will be very interesting to see the rivers placed.

Thanks! The third had my preference too, but I wasn't sure if it wasn't too much.
    I reworked the snow and think it's better now.
    I've also done a few tests about rivers, cities and borders. The placements aren't correct, I'm just testing to see how it looks. I think I'll need the details and infos from the original map to do it right anyway.

Name:	ezmars fev3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	81095

Some more tests about fonts/labels, an exploration camp (hedekas, near mount olympus) and a portal in the "mist" (SE of Sayansk).

Name:	ezmars su.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	81198
    I'm currently preparing the rest of the base map.

As always you never fail to inspire! I can't wait to see how this project unfolds and learn from it!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Östersund The new additions look great, nice fonts, lovely borders, cool symbols. The city dots could perhaps be a touch bigger, and less 3D-ish to fit more with the style of the borders? I'd also prefer less faint rivers, closer to the coastlines in thickness, though I guess that depends on how much other stuff you're going to put into the map and how important the rivers are.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast