Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 25 – The Kingdom in the clouds

Wip Map 25 – The Kingdom in the clouds

The Kingdom in the clouds is a lush land made of industrious people. They carved their way in the valleys, as if the land was a sculpture. They drained marshes and created canals to improve navigation on the rivers, creating an extensive network... (More flavor later, let's get back to technical stuff)

My country is the largest on the map, according to my calculation. It is also the second most mountainous, after Gameprinter. Most of the country is covered with mountains and many valleys, the rest is made of forest or farmland if settled (not decided yet). Many people live in these lush valleys. The warm air rises from the sea and is pushed toward the colder mountains. The air condenses when reaching the mountains, creating many clouds in the valleys and hillsides, hence the name.

For the style, I’m aiming something inspired by Asia. I have some ideas but it’s not definitive yet.
    I’ve already done the mountains and some test trees in the valley close to the middle of the map.
    It’s not the first time I’m playing with that style but it’s the first time I try to make a map with it. Comments are welcome.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	82127
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-07-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Thousands of square miles of mountains. Yes, it is quite mountainous

I'm looking forward to this map.

Hey, neighbor! Your land sounds intriguing and I can't wait to see all the stoneworks. What shall we name the channel that separates our countries?

Nice start, neighbour! My people could provide some help for sea/river navigation (even more if your mountains are rich in precious and industrial minerals and metals!).

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Hey, neighbor! Your land sounds intriguing and I can't wait to see all the stoneworks. What shall we name the channel that separates our countries?
    Your island rose out from the water and many ships were caught and have either sinked or were trapped overland. A sad event that out cartographers are only starting to acknowledge.
    Some ideas: Shipbreaker, the drowned lizards (a reference to the many ship from #14), the new channel. I also considered putting pirates on the channel islands maybe.<

My people are not too good at trading oversea.

I like the Shipbreaker Strait! Since my nation has a rich maritime history, I would be happy to bring your people trade goods from far-off lands.

I also like the Shipbreaker Strait. It makes sense I think. We have to decide the name of the sea as well... Any idea?

An update:
    I will probably add more mountains as these ranges do not seem too hard to cross.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25_Kingdom-in-the-clouds-v2.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	82442

@Ilanthar: I have no idea for this one. There is a lot of maritime trade in that sea (form east to west and vice verse, I guess). Maybe there is a lot of fish.
    Maybe it's know for it's sealions, half lions / half lizard. They call them the Leozard. The sea of the Leozard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I also like the Shipbreaker Strait. It makes sense I think. We have to decide the name of the sea as well... Any idea?
    Welp, I put the name on my map! That resolves part of your question mark, Azelor. Still need some names for the seas, though...

I like what you are doing with the mountains, simple shapes and interesting lines.
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast