Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map 31 - The Glorious Empire of Aperia

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

I like the caterpillar mountain ranges a lot, though i totally understand the dilemma with depicting the rest of the terrain (but consider: maps with "all the terrainz" on it happen to become rather unwieldy... ). Those different hill sketches look very promising, so i'm looking forward to see which path you'll choose.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

I like the idea of the top-down caterpillar mountains...I don't quite think they are "there" yet but I can't really put my finger on why. Do you have any links to maps in the style you're tying to imitate? I'd like to see.

EDIT: I see Diamond changed up his style and is now doing something similar for his land!
    Last edited by jshoer; 04-15-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Hey Meshon, I'm naming the stretch of water between our two countries the Nescantic Gulf. You can give it some other name in your language, or maybe put that in as the old name so the emperor can cross it out.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I like the idea of the top-down caterpillar mountains...I don't quite think they are "there" yet but I can't really put my finger on why. Do you have any links to maps in the style you're tying to imitate? I'd like to see.

EDIT: I see Diamond changed up his style and is now doing something similar for his land!
    I have a book called The Agile Rabbit Book of Historical and Curious Maps that has what I'm trying to emulate, but I'm having trouble finding examples online. It's a lot of extremely intricate and controlled line work and I think I'm not able to replicate it yet. My tablet is just cheap and not very accurate but, more importantly, I don't have a good understanding of how to make elevation out of tiny lines.

I should probably stop messing around soon and get this done!

Thanks for the link to Diamond's supersweet mountains!

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: Found this map that's similar to what I was trying to accomplish. I'll let it go for now, but one day…
    https://dabrownstein.files.wordpress...-to-sf-bay.jpg
    Last edited by Meshon; 04-17-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Just planting mountains, waiting for them to grow…

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aperia01.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	82708

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Sounds awesome looking forward to seeing this "trumpian" world develop.
    Trumpian? Some kind of political adjective? I wouldn't know, being from Canada. I have NO idea about any Trump cards or anything… No idea… Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    "Tis a silly place".... hahaha! Funny you should write that, as I have plans at some future point to do The Holy Lands of Grail.
    Okay, that will be awesome. Is that your country for the Guildworld? Aperia has a great need for coconuts if you're trading…

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Great to see you joining the party Meshon! The notes already give a good impression of these lands Just imagined one of the northern rebellious folks arguing: "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."
    See, I was definitely thinking of Camelot when I made that note on the island. Basically the new emperor has moved his court off the mainland so as to be completely isolated and out of touch. But now I'm really thinking you have defined the underlying theme for Aperia. I'll have to draw fast! I could totally see the Emperor sending knights off on ridiculous quests for coconuts.

So he can have more cavalry of course!

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Hey Meshon, I'm naming the stretch of water between our two countries the Nescantic Gulf. You can give it some other name in your language, or maybe put that in as the old name so the emperor can cross it out.
    That sounds perfect. Does it have a meaning hidden in there? I'll go check your thread for details.

Thanks for the feedback! I should have more after I water the mountains a bit.

cheers,
    Meshon

No hidden meaning, I was just continuing my theme of New-England-like names and thought I'd play off of "Atlantic."

Yeah, Meshon - the zillion hatching lines way of showing shaded relief looks great and also looks incredibly tedious. As nice as your example map is, I love how the whole map is focused JUST on Blossom Rock. I mean, I'm sure it's a hazard to navigation and all but c'mon - it's a ROCK. Makes me wonder if I should focus on the minor feature of a map once in a while :-).

Those drawn and shaded mountains sprouting in that last WIP aren't too shabby themselves - they'll do!

They grow well! Very nice mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    They grow well! Very nice mountains.
    I agree with Ilanthar, nicely done. Glad to see you joining in. I have to take the time reading your backstory and think about how to integrate your imperial story in mine... Further worldbuilding to come .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast