Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Map 31 - The Glorious Empire of Aperia

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default Map 31 - The Glorious Empire of Aperia

Aperia had a lot of things going for it; abundant resources, a sense of unity, reasonable relations with its neighbours. Unfortunately a freak accident on the southern island with some imported coconuts and and a cannon misfire ended the life of the benevolent emperor. Her replacement has proven to be a short-sighted egomaniac and for the past decade has been hard at work turning Aperia into a nightmare for most of its citizens.

Here's my rough map with notes. I'm going to figure out a style and get some details in.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recently-Dystopia'd.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	82508

Now to go figure out what my neighbours are up to! I'm pretty sure the north end of the Empire is isolated, rebellious, and keen to separate. There's also that big island to the east, in the gulf, and the new Emperor probably wants that island. Because, islands.

cheers,
    Meshon

YAY, you're finally in here Meshon
    Looking forward to what you're going to do.

Islands are nice...

(Stay away from my island nation, egomaniacal emperor!)

Excellent and fun idea! I'll be watching the progress of the emperor's dream map.

Sounds awesome looking forward to seeing this "trumpian" world develop.

"Tis a silly place".... hahaha! Funny you should write that, as I have plans at some future point to do The Holy Lands of Grail.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Great to see you joining the party Meshon! The notes already give a good impression of these lands Just imagined one of the northern rebellious folks arguing: "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

^^^ Comment of the week!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Great to see you joining the party Meshon! The notes already give a good impression of these lands Just imagined one of the northern rebellious folks arguing: "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."
    Thank you for this Abu Lafia !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Filthy peasants! Now I just need to know which nations are producing coconuts.
    As it turns out, coconuts are extremely important for travel…

I've been trying some things out for mountains. There's a bunch of 19th century maps I've been looking at that use little lines to produce elevations. I'm happy with how some of the top-down lines-only ranges turned out, but I think I'm going to move back a century and use a more dimensional representation. It's a dilemma; the little-lines style maybe fits more with the scale of the map, but most of the references I looked at don't depict much for any other terrain and I want to depict ALL TEH TERRAINZ! Time to draw some mountains…

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 10.39.29 AM.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	671.4 KB 
ID:	82571

Also, that colour is NOT happening, it's just that I'm using Illustrator for my first steps. More nuanced colours to come!

cheers,
    Meshon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast