Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guildworld - General discussion [place names and other assorted topics]

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Incidentally SrgDark and I have agreed our little southern continent is called Erythraea (loosely the "red lands"), after the Crimson and Winedark Seas. I've also changed the Sundowner Sea to the Brandywine Sea, both for consistency and as it's next to Shireland!

I suggested they're red because the waters are rich with krill - see this story about red seas off New Zealand!
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-19-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Oh, also here's the world scale in km (accurate I think?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	82703

I'm going to try to update some waters later on Thursday - so if any new names should be added before then...

Water update hasn't happened yet. Will try to this weekend though.

I updated waters and other stuff based on the info in this thread.

edit - merged these posts.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-24-2016 at 03:52 PM.

I'm still working on my part of the map and I'm trying to decide where to place my cities.
    I made a rough estimate of my population to determine the size and number of cities and right now I can count around 160 million people while still having room for deserts, mountains and jungles.

Does this seems unrealistic and has anyone else tried to estimate their country's demographics?

The land areas are absolutely immense, so it's kind of hard to get a feel of what would be realistic or not. It sounds high but with these sizes it may be prefectly reasonable. RedKettle did a little work regarding mapping the settlement density of his map here.

Yes indeed it is large, something like 8,5 million square kilometres (the size of Brazil).

The dilemma also come from the fact that I don't want all the country to be packed with people. It would need space for adventuring and fantastic creatures to roam freely like dragons for example.
    Although there is not much worldbuilding going on for Guildworld, it's something I'm trying to think about.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think a lot of people ran out of steam, but at some point I'd like to map more areas of my section...

I think the energy for the project has to come in waves, everyone was excited for the ten year anniversary, and perhaps something will occur again to get people fired up, or perhaps something else entirely. This wasn't founded as a long term project, and so it may prove hard to develop as such.

Yeah, it does seem like the steam sort of ran out for most people.
    And Falconius is right. It wasn't originally to be a long term thing, but people seemed really interested so we went with it.
    Some will return and do more development... but I sort of think most won't.
    Most were joining to be part of the 10 year thing.

The land sizes are just a sort of accidental side effect of us/me not really planning it out well enough.
    You estimations could be entirely reasonable. Since we didn't plan, there's no real statement of what level of development and age for this world.
    If it were early civilization, populations might be much lower. Later civilization and populations could be quite high.
    It would also depend on wars, disease, natural disasters and other mass death events as well playing into populations levels.

I anyone has any ideas for things that might get people more interested in another wave of activity, let me know.
    I have less time now than when I started this, but I can still try to help push another movement of activity.... maybe.

Perhaps have a tri-monthly project/contest? Or not contest per say, but something modeled similarly to the monthly challenges. For instance, "map a town from your map" or map a "town from someone else's map" etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast