Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guildworld - Climate and Biome discussion

Appreciate all the work you climate gurus have put in, but for the sake of my own sanity, I'm sticking with the biomes my original set of lats and longs indicated before the middle-western continent got bumped up.

Were this a more serious or longer term project, I'd go back and rework everything, but as it stands, I'm afraid not, gents.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Hooray! Maucland is temperate humid! Seems like I can probably get away with my initial intuitions.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Phillips View Post
    Appreciate all the work you climate gurus have put in, but for the sake of my own sanity, I'm sticking with the biomes my original set of lats and longs indicated before the middle-western continent got bumped up.

Were this a more serious or longer term project, I'd go back and rework everything, but as it stands, I'm afraid not, gents.
    That's fine we're not rules-lawyering, just thought it would be fun to discuss climate.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn there is some funny stuff in this thread.

So.. I've been trying to understand those weather maps you've made, and if someone would be nice to tell me what country on good-ol-back-home-earth would match #55 where I recide? ... seems like I have cold winds from the first maps - but dry cliimate from the climate map .. although I'm between two humid ones. I'd like an idea of general temperature and climate and how I can fit my vikings in there
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Damn there is some funny stuff in this thread.

So.. I've been trying to understand those weather maps you've made, and if someone would be nice to tell me what country on good-ol-back-home-earth would match #55 where I recide? ... seems like I have cold winds from the first maps - but dry cliimate from the climate map .. although I'm between two humid ones. I'd like an idea of general temperature and climate and how I can fit my vikings in there
    Your country is basically a peninsula situated between equator and the high pressure zones in the descending branch of the Hadley cell.
    The dominating winds are always from the north and north east.
    But as the high pressures are above the ocean, this air coming to your country from the north is humid.
    In the southern part your country is tropical, hot (some 30° +) and wet.
    But because of the very particular environment, the northern part is not so different - e.g hot and humid.
    If you have some mountains running E to W or NW to SE, then the nothern slopes will be tropical while South of it will be a drier subtropical climate (bush, Savannah).
    The driest part but still not desertical is the SE.

Compared with the Earth, and because our planet has a comparable radius to the Earth, your country would be huge and run from Colombia to Cuba.
    So the comparison you wanted is : 55 is Cuba like in the north and Colombia like in the South.

Would country #52 have a similar climate to #55?
    I imagine it would be different, as there would be exposure to the ocean...or isn't it?
    Hmm.

Blog Entries

Thanks a bunch Deadshade - I had thought Mongolia ... So now I just have to find out how to went the viking furs so they work in a humid climate
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    So now I just have to find out how to went the viking furs so they work in a humid climate
    Go with lizard fur. Less likely to mat and smell bad in high-humidity environments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Go with lizard fur. Less likely to mat and smell bad in high-humidity environments.
    lol ... sounds like a plan... or perhaps I'll go with the Conan look - loincloth
    regs tilt

Just make sure that it's actual fur along the top of the loincloth and not simply bad tailoring that makes it look so.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast