Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Guildworld - Climate and Biome discussion

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Thanks a bunch Deadshade - I had thought Mongolia ... So now I just have to find out how to went the viking furs so they work in a humid climate
    I'm picturing fur loincloth/kirtles for the gentlemen and fur bras and panties for the ladies, think skimpy Conan-couture

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like a look worth pursuing - also very in-tune with nature which suits my culture
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Just checking so that my map doesn't look really out of place
    What would the climate and biomes of #52 be like? I did think it might be similar to #55, but there's a dirty great big mountain range separating us
    I did consider it might be like Southeast Asia or Central America, but there's less ocean by it...

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    Just checking so that my map doesn't look really out of place
    What would the climate and biomes of #52 be like? I did think it might be similar to #55, but there's a dirty great big mountain range separating us
    I did consider it might be like Southeast Asia or Central America, but there's less ocean by it...
    The 52 is quite similar to 55 because it is on the same peninsula and has about the same latitude range.
    But if the temperatures are similar (hot), there are significant différences in humidity.
    The dominating winds from the Hadley cell come from the NE. So arriving on 52 they have a high absolute humidity because they are warm and come from the ocean. But when they arrive on 55, they have already crossed 52 and dropped most of their rain.
    That's why I said that 55 will be relatively dry in the SE (along the border with 52).

You have then a quite big N/S mountain range. The humid NE winds will rise along it's eastern slope, cool and expand and it's there that 52 will have most rain.
    Symetrically on the western side we will have a "rain shadow" because the air will be dry and it will rain much less.
    Last but not least the extreme South will be tropical - hot and wet like 55.

So the climate on the eastern part will be like Caribic - Cuba, Haiti (minus the hurricanes).
    The climate on the western half (in the rain shadow of the ranges) will be drier - like Kenya.

Alright! Looks like my country will be getting rain every day, all-year round
    Two last questions: would it be any colder towards the northernmost part of 52? What would this entail? And, as for tropical storms and gales, would the sea between Wu Qiong and 52 be heaving in them?

(I'm starting to wonder how Tilt is going to deal with his Kenyan Vikings... )

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vikings work in all settings - they look their best in loin cloths anyway... red as lobsters for the first 100 years in Kenya
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    Alright! Looks like my country will be getting rain every day, all-year round
    Two last questions: would it be any colder towards the northernmost part of 52? What would this entail? And, as for tropical storms and gales, would the sea between Wu Qiong and 52 be heaving in them?

)
    No, if anything it will be hotter. There is a permanent high pressure zone so that the perturbations don't come through. Actually the maximum temperatures will be higher in the north than in the South. If there was not the mitigating presence of the vast northern ocean, this zone would be desertic. As it is, the north easterlies will cool down the coast a bit but farther inland it will be very hot in the day and quite cold in the night (because the skies are clear most of the time so that the accumulated heat radiates away pretty fast).

The eastern "sea" is more of a bay or inland sea (like the Black sea). As it is in low latitudes it will be quite calm with trade winds blowing from the NE.
    Around the equator there will be the typical equatorial behaviour - daily thunderstorms during the overcast afternoons and short but strong precipitations. Not enough water to develop gales and violent storms.

Can someone help me out about the climate for my country?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Country 53.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	108273

It's country 53. I see that is is pretty tropical, but is it only jungle? I'm looking for some more details. I guess, I have some mountain foothills, but not much.

Equatorial rainforest would likely be the dominant climate normally but there is not that much water arond so it could be drier. We don't follow strict guidelines and its up to you.

That being said, the southern half of my country is jungle and the border is only scarcely populated.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Equatorial rainforest would likely be the dominant climate normally but there is not that much water arond so it could be drier. We don't follow strict guidelines and its up to you.

That being said, the southern half of my country is jungle and the border is only scarcely populated.
    I assume the same could be said for its neighbor to the west, 54?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345