Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map 52 - The Sinister Coast

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Good start neighbor - l like the style of your coasts
    Concerning naming just remember that different countries have different names for the same body of water.
    Thanks! I plan to label my map so that places that have been named by other countries will have a name by the dialect of my lands, and then the real name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    yep, good start Corilliant. I have to add that your new avatar is somehow... mesmerizing. Hum, anyway, I like the two names you put, Port Iben is familiar somehow.
    Haha! It takes ages to cycle through. Sometimes, I have wondered if it was moving at all
    It took my a while to settle on the name for the trade city. I wish naming weren't so hard. As for Port Iben...the only thing that uncle Google tells me is that there's a Port of Ibben in ASOIAF.

Haiyang Sea? Goombac and I - 'scuse me - the Wuqiongi and Ondeetien have that as a shared etymo-illogical misunderstanding. It fits with the whole way Ondeet got named.

If you got the Ocean Sea straight from approximate Chinese I'm impressed :-).

The Ondeetien would rather trade than fight, "these days", but nothing says there mightn't have been past conflict. But more importantly - just what sort of cheese do your near-Equatorial fromagiers produce, that Ondeetien upperlatitudians need?

This corner of Guildworld heaves with culture, trade and commerce, bringing in ships loaded with goods from the far reaches of the globe to its dozens of ports. Do not let its lush rainforests, beautiful beaches and misty hills fool you into believing it is a serene realm. Far from it! The heart of the land is rife with corruption and violence. Many merchants have made the dangerous voyage past the pirate-ridden coast of Wu Qiong and through the Fraught Straits, only to find themselves embroiled in the deadly politics of the local factions. This has led to the creation of the region's much-feared name, ‘The Sinister Coast’.

The Sinister, as it is known in maritime circles, is officially recognised by other nations as a federation, with the massive trade hub of Dresciel serving as its capital. However, deep beneath the facade of government, dozens of merchant factions compete for influence over of strategic trading cities and resource-rich provinces, bribing the corrupt government of The Sinister. As of late, one particular faction, The Absconders' League, has spread its influence over much of the south of The Sinister, the surrounding seas, and even to Dresciel itself. Under the Absconders' League, trade has thrived on the southern coast (leaving the other factions feeling a bit left out), but true to its name, the cities of the League have become refuge for murderers, pirates and all kinds of scum from all over the world. The rulers of The Sinister have never been concerned about the power that the factions have over the land; the factions only increase trade (though dangerous trade, at that), and always fall apart when economic misfortune befalls them. The Sinister has not united properly for the sake of warfare against another country in over a century, following its utter defeat at the hands of the mages of Gungnerhafn one hundred and eighty-seven years ago, despite the massive bankrolling of the merchant guilds.

The Absconders' League would be happy to trade with Ondeet. The League has a national monopoly over the exchange of Iron Cheese, the traditional cheese produced in the western mountains of The Sinister, as well as much influence in the way of resources such as gold, tin and naphtha. Other merchant guilds have expressed their interest in trading with Ondeet, barring the second-most powerful faction, The Western Merchants' Guild.

------------------------------------

Phew. That was a lot of writing! Feedback, as well as more diplomats, would be greatly appreciated
    As a matter of convenience, most of the cities are on the coast; the centre of The Sinister is lacking in settlements and features, barring rainforest, gorges and more rainforest.
    Progress may slow down for the remainder of the week as I launch back into my studies. I was hoping to complete the basic line-work this week, but I guess I'll have to finish it at the weekend. Unfortunately, like others have discovered, the more I get into drawing this map, the less I want to study! I'm actually making an effort to finish a map for once!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Haiyang Sea? Goombac and I - 'scuse me - the Wuqiongi and Ondeetien have that as a shared etymo-illogical misunderstanding. It fits with the whole way Ondeet got named.
    Ha! We ought to name one body of water the "Straight Strait", with that train of thought.

To any CL with a moment to spare:
    could you please change the title of my thread to 'Map 52 - The Sinister Coast' ? Thank you

Changed it for you.

Ooh, Iron Cheese... I'm interested....

Thanks! If it's not too much trouble, would you mind getting rid of the "Corilliant land" bit at the end too? Sorry

Yeah, I'm still to decide how important Iron Cheese is as a commodity in The Sinister. In honesty, practically anything you'd want could be found in one of its ports, I expect.
    Perhaps this kind of cheese is grey, shiny, creamy and infused with some kind of edible metal similar to iron. Who knows!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I also thought of the Straight Strait, glad someone is using it.

Iron cheese eh - sodium has a cheesey consistency in its raw form... I wouldn't recommend eating it though!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ooohhh. I like that.. "Sinister Coast" - cool name
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The Cheese might get it's Iron content from blood?

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Iron cheese eh - sodium has a cheesey consistency in its raw form... I wouldn't recommend eating it though!
    Oooh, you gave me an idea! How about some kind of cheese that reacts explosively with water? It'd lead to lots of shipping accidents, I assume you

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The Cheese might get it's Iron content from blood?
    Ewww. We're not barbarians in The Sinister, we're just...sinister.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    How about some kind of cheese that reacts explosively with water? It'd lead to lots of shipping accidents, I assume you
    And deaths, I'd imagine. "This cheese is so delightfully salty. Pass me the water please?"

The map's looking good so far!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast