Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Free Symbols Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I'm not sure if you know of it (though I expect you do), but an open source mapping program called Autorealm installs various fonts on your PC including a symbols font that includes various symbols such as a sunken ship, battlefield, etc etc.

So here it is:

I've always liked those, especially the sunken ship. I even created some CC3 symbols from that font earlier in this thread:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...30&postcount=7

jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

I found some stuff here -

http://openclipart.org/media/tags/cartography

The good stuff starts on the second page, under the heading 'RPG Map Symbols'. I haven't used any of it yet, but some of the medieval/fantasy buildings and stuff look like they'd be pretty cool in a small isomorphic-style map. I also found it was better NOT to download them - just copy the thumbnail into a folder (it's png, so you retain the shadows).

I'm thinking about extracting all the buildings and other terrain objects of my copy of HOMM4, but if I do that and make a map with them, I won't be able to post it (legally) anywhere, right?
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 11-22-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Guild Novice

Info

I'm thinking about extracting all the buildings and other terrain objects of my copy of HOMM4, but if I do that and make a map with them, I won't be able to post it (legally) anywhere, right?
    I just had a good look around the site and if I read it right, you can do what you want with them (maybe not commercially) as it clearly says in the about section that:

"This project aims to create an archive of clip art that can be used for free for any use.
    All graphics submitted to the project should be placed into the Public Domain according to the statement by the Creative Commons."

So you should be OK.

p.s. I think your Realms maps are awesome. I also really love the new style introduced in 4E by Mike Schley
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

Yup - Whereas I merely copy the old style (quite literally in many places), he has taken it to the next level.

The one problem the '3e style' had was that it isn't condusive to blending terrain types, like having forests run into the mountains, and Mr. Shley seems to be addressing that short-coming quite well.

I'm here to learn from him, and others.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 12-29-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Here's a CC3 overland varicolor symbol catalog made from the compass rose font Korrigan found:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3502
    Attached Files Attached Files
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

These are the addresses we use most. The huge and popular CSUAC collection was available in separate versions for Fractal Mapper 8, Dundjinni and CC3. The site for the CC3 download no longer exists, but the Fractal Mapper 8 set will work with the CC3 compatibility pack. To get either or both, go here:

CSUAC Downloads

The Dundjinni version is available here:

http://www.semorecordings.com/downlo...15#wpfb-cat-15

Our next stop is Jeff Albert's (screen name Steel Rat) huge RPG Map Share site at:

RPGMapShare.com | Your source for gaming maps and mapping objects

There you also will find thousands of free symbols (objects) and fills (textures) in the categories fantasy, modern and sci-fi.

And then there are the Dundjinni user forums at:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/

Where you also can download a huge number of free symbols and fills in the categories fantasy, modern and sci-fi. Heads up, however! Microsoft's Internet Explore will download these symbols and fills as BMP files, which makes them useless if they have transparent elements. Firefox downloads them correctly.

Our Vintyri website also has several hundred free symbols and fills available in FM8 and Dundjinni resolutions. The address: http://www.vintyri.org .

IMPORTANT POINT:

FM8 USERS: The CSUAC and Vintyri symbols and fills all are scaled correctly for FM8. All of the other symbols mentioned above are in standard Dundjinni resolution. In every FM8 non-Vintyri and non-CSUAC folder where you save these symbols, you need to add an XML file to set the correct FM8 resolution. To do that:

1. Open the Windows Notebook (Windows Editor in some non-English language versions.)

2. Write or copy the following code for folders containing non-CSUAC and non-Vintyri symbols:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
    <symbol>
    <pixel size='0.025' unit='Feet'/>
    </symbol>

3. After you've copied or typed that in, save the file with the name default.xml.

This step is not necessary with CSUAC or Vintyri symbols if you install them according to instructions. Both then automatically will be unzipped into folders that already contain the correct XML file.

CC3 USERS: If you use CC3, you should use the program's built-in tools to make variants of the non-CSUAC symbols in the proper resolutions. If you want to convert the Vintyri symbols for CC3, you'll get the best results by downloading the Dundjinni versions and converting them. If you search the CC3 mailing list, you should find Ralf Schemmenn's instructions there on how to do that.

If you take symbols from these sites, then make some symbols of your own and post them on these sites. That's what makes the symbol, fill and map sharing system work. If you take without giving, the system eventually will fail.
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 08-07-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Information update
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    Some very nice CC2/Cosmographer Star Trek symbols are available on this page:

http://anomaly.mushpark.com/transfer.html

Look under "Trek Symbols". There are also a couple of CC2 Star Trek ship and starbase deck plans on that page too.
    Hey, cool! My Trek symbols!

This might be handy:

A set of vector 'fantasy' icons/ symbols with loads of images to use or break up for quick shapes to make more (100's of weapons, shields, magical effects and more)
    Vectors in PDF format
    Free and Creative Commons

Download the lot from Treasure, where the files are currently tucked away in the .zip versions of the RPG.

Thistle Games
    Last edited by nedjer; 09-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Question Symbols for Arctic Wasteland

Does anyone know of any symbols that would be good to use in an arctic wasteland kind of setting (white mountains, icebergs, etc)? TIA!

Default modern overland city symbols

I am looking for symbols (CC3 or universal) for modern cities: skyscrapers, office buildings, and so on, preferably in both ruined and non-ruined condition. Has anyone seen a symbol library like this?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast