Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Kronos (reborn) topographic

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kronos_world sattelite+.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	133039  

Another sketch of the whole world. I'll have to work hard to fix the polar distortion. But the general idea is this. There are 2 more continents and a large island in the north. Probably "Antarctica" will sail even further south.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	плиты.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	441.0 KB 
ID:	133071
    ### Latest WIP ###

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

I like your work! Keep it up! I have a question though, can you accept my friend request?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodytheClimateGuy View Post
    I like your work! Keep it up! I have a question though, can you accept my friend request?
    Thank you! Of course!

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Cool! But also, how to create mountains like that? I plan to get Illustrator soon and I am now working on an elevation map. I am interested on how you create those types of mountains. In addition, how do you create realistic textures for the map like that? When I finish my climate map, (eventually lol) I will create a texture representing the climates similar or at least a stylized version of Earth.

Like this Reddit post here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Speculative...akes_place_on/

Thank you!
    Last edited by WoodytheClimateGuy; 04-12-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodytheClimateGuy View Post
    Cool! But also, how to create mountains like that? I plan to get Illustrator soon and I am now working on an elevation map. I am interested on how you create those types of mountains. In addition, how do you create realistic textures for the map like that? When I finish my climate map, (eventually lol) I will create a texture representing the climates similar or at least a stylized version of Earth.

Like this Reddit post here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Speculative...akes_place_on/

Thank you!
    I'll let Harg answer how he did it, but there was a tutorial awhile back on these forums which was helpful to me on this kind of technique: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=18280

Guild Member

I absolutely love that tutorial but as a Mac user getting Wilbur to run is not easy, I have tried WINE but found it quite unstable. Would the Saderan tut be useful here I wonder?

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    I'll let Harg answer how he did it, but there was a tutorial awhile back on these forums which was helpful to me on this kind of technique: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=18280
    Thank you, dude! This is very helpful! I sent you a friend request!

I am using photoshop. My technique is actually very simple and it seems I have already described it in this thread. It is based on a height map (black and white). Then I copy the heightmap to a new alpha channel. I create a new layer and fill it with grey. Select this layer. I open the lighting effects filters. In lighting effects, I select the alpha channel with the heightmap. I move the extrusion slider. I set the light source to infinite. Ready!

A texture is just a collection of simple earth, sand and grass textures, sometimes using homemade textures based on satellite imagery. The main thing that you must understand is that there is no magic texture that will draw everything for you. It's just a mix. Look at the textures of the Earth and mentally divide it into simple components.

One of the tips to texture based on height range. Select a certain height spread using a height map and paint with one (or several) textures only in this range. This will create a zoning effect.

I actively use color adjustment and so on to fit the texture to the color I want. Grass - can be sand, and sand dyed green by forest. The main thing here is to have an open mind, on such a scale only color and light texture are important.

I did not come up with anything new, all the guides are already in the guild, one of them was shown above. I just use them at different times.

Combine masks, different layers and positions. Do not be afraid)))))

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world sketch2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	133684
    ### Latest WIP ###

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast