Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Kronos (reborn) topographic

Default Dedication

New here -- had a registration years ago, but it disappeared.

This is one of the most amazing map sagas I have ever looked at. The kind of thing I would dearly love to do.

Wish there was some way I could mark this thread to come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
    New here -- had a registration years ago, but it disappeared.
    This is one of the most amazing map sagas I have ever looked at. The kind of thing I would dearly love to do.
    Wish there was some way I could mark this thread to come back to it.
    Thank you. I hope you quickly type 10 messages on the forum and we will see your world. It's really addictive, especially when you're getting close to tectonics. She scares and beckons. And after many years, you will still find something that you want to redo.

Default Mappings

Quote Originally Posted by Harrg View Post
    Thank you. I hope you quickly type 10 messages on the forum and we will see your world. It's really addictive, especially when you're getting close to tectonics. She scares and beckons. And after many years, you will still find something that you want to redo.
    Just posted an intro of myself in the section. I'm going to have to wait to DL Gimp again until I get my new computer -- no room on this one!

I use a free program called Paint Dot Net (PDN) on which I can do almost anything I managed to learn to do when I had access to a copy of PS. Gimp just about drove me insane.

As the daughter of a geologist, I found your section on plate tectonics particularly interesting.

Map

It's great! I think you will like the projects of Charerg, Pixie, Tiluchi and many other tectonic nerds. Soon enough of us will accumulate to create a separate section on the forum

### Latest WIP ###
    I started draw a smooth transition between land and ocean floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kronos_2021_fixes_vp.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	6.09 MB 
ID:	130105  

This is looking really great Harrg! Of course my particular favorite is the geology- nothing cooler than seeing a bunch of thought put into the geological history behind the topography we see today. I'm curious about the formation of the Internal Sea (if my Google Translate is correct), given that the inlet is directly in the middle of a continental orogeny- something similar to the creation of the Black Sea, with the collision of a few different microcontinents and back-arc basins? A tiny suggestion (assuming it's not too far along in the process) might be to add an aulacogen or two around the rift occurring in the southwest, given that rifting tends to happen along triple junctions at about 120º angles. I also might add some island arcs around the subductive margins of the Centimora (?) Plate in the Southeast, similar to the Philippine Sea Plate on Earth. But overall the geology is really great here, and I love all the smaller details like the grabens and thrust faults.

The topography overall looks fantastic as well- easily one of the best-looking relief maps I've ever seen on here. You will have to post a tutorial on here or suggestions for those of us working on similar projects!

Thanks Tiluchi. I am very pleased to hear such words from experts in tectonics. You have asked very good questions.

I'm curious about the formation of the Internal Sea (if my Google Translate is correct), given that the inlet is directly in the middle of a continental orogeny- something similar to the creation of the Black Sea, with the collision of a few different microcontinents and back-arc basins?
    Yes, this is the Inner Sea or the Middle Sea, Inland Sea too. To be honest, I myself do not fully understand how exactly this sea appeared. This is one of the many objects that just exist and now I'm trying to fit the rest of the processes so that nothing breaks, but remains logical.
    I took the Mediterranean and Black Sea as a basis. But the middle sea is not very suitable(in modern day), because it is, in fact, the closing ocean of the Tetis.
    In my case, the Inland Sea is actually located behind the main orogeny.
    In my original concept, the Inland Sea was larger and flooded the vast lowlands to the west.
    I love the thought of micro plates. This would explain well the thickness of the Tanat orogeny and the Naratar orogeny. The break that connected the Inland Sea and the ocean could have resulted from the shift of these micro-plates or their compression under the powerful pressure of the northern and southern plates.
    For a while I thought about the glacier that breached. But this is too far from the last maximum glaciation and looks unlikely.
    Although it is possible that the inland sea actually appeared originally as a closed freshwater lake fed by mountain rivers. But this still weakly explains the breakthrough of the isthmus in the center of the thick mountain range.

A tiny suggestion (assuming it's not too far along in the process) might be to add an aulacogen or two around the rift occurring in the southwest, given that rifting tends to happen along triple junctions at about 120º angles.
    I have an idea to launch the aquologen directly above the Artarden sign in the direction of Kallikhar. Maybe a little earlier at the Skogsongai bend. Perhaps a small aquologen should be somewhere to the west in an unnamed land beyond the lakes. For now, I call this region Artarden Minoris.
    According to my assumptions, in a few million years, Artarden Minoris will also split off, like Artarden Majoris, from the Hornhord continent (a large southern continent)

I also might add some island arcs around the subductive margins of the Centimora (?) Plate in the Southeast, similar to the Philippine Sea Plate on Earth.
    Yes. IPA [santimora] - the Bygone Shores or the Drowned Shores. You are absolutely right. I am just finishing preparatory work before pushing out the volcanic islands.
    wow this is probably the biggest post I've written in 10 years at the guild.

Map

### Latest WIP ###

And so, the last month it was very hot +33, so I actually couldn't work on the map. My computer did not want to start afterwards.
    Tiluchi's message made me reconsider the relief in the east. I decided to follow the scenario with a series of small and super small tectonic plates. I started working on visualizing tectonic boundaries in relief in this area. Hopefully they will be clearer.

Name:	Kronos_2021_fixes_v3.1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	5.93 MB 
ID:	130546  
    Last edited by Harrg; 07-19-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Help

Looking closely at what I was getting, I came to the conclusion that most likely there is another continent in the southeast.
    Let's call it Terra Nova.
    Terra Nova has two parts. The southern part of Terra nova broke away from the main continent and headed east. There it collided with northern Terra Nova
    Well, I think I've come close to the point where I can't ignore the rest of the world, because it primarily affects the main continent. In fact, I started to do the inverse construction of the world. Instead of creating supercontent and then splitting it, I started my journey from a small piece of the known world, gradually "discovering" new lands for myself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	модель тектони&#10.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	130607
    It's funny. It all started with the fact that I could not explain how the Middle Sea appeared. By the way about that. I suspect the shape of the current strait is unlikely. Most likely it will be more straight, and not zigzag, as it is now. Then the strait arose as a result of the shift of two microplates, flooding the cavity between them. By a mechanism close to the formation of a bridge between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea
    Another problem area that I do not yet know how to solve is the mountains in the west. Now I am intensively mastering gplaets and maybe I will find a solution. So far, I have a poor idea of ​​the geological development of this region. Perhaps something similar to the Urals and the reactivation of the southern outskirts caused by the invasion of the Kallihar continent.
    Another point, I do not really like the strong visual similarity of the Thanat mountains with the Himalayas. I was inspired by the Himalayas and I love the southern outskirts of Tanat. And I suspect that something like this should happen when two content collides, but I will think about how to make these mountains more unique. This is not due to the fact that I am using real world height maps. I collected Tanat from the mountains of Asia Minor and the Caucasus, but they turned out to be very similar to the Himalayas.

P.S. I started add aulacogens on the South in rifting area

Name:	Kronos_2021_fixes_v3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	6.36 MB 
ID:	130608  
    Last edited by Harrg; 07-24-2021 at 09:30 AM.

The darker blues really add something.

Not sure about the dark line you have as an outline on the land, stands out a bit too much for me.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    The darker blues really add something.
    Not sure about the dark line you have as an outline on the land, stands out a bit too much for me.
    Thank you sir QED42,maybe a dark blue would look better? Anyway, so far, the outlining helps me keep the coastlines clean, because immediately shows my mistakes. Perhaps a little later I will completely get rid of it.
    ### Latest WIP ###

I spent some time contemplating the geology of the world. My understanding has improved a lot lately. When Charerg, and then Teluchi, asked me about the nature of the origin of the Inner Sea, I did not fully realize what was the reason for such curiosity in this particular region. Only now I understood what was the matter.

Teluchi's last post made me pay attention to this area and answer the question, how did this damn sea come about?
    This could explain the sea, the mountains, and the bridge with the ocean.
    Now it seems I have found a solution that does not break the big picture and does not require major changes.
    And so, the southern continent Hornhord began its movement northward, covering the paleo ocean. The Veldo-Sarpad continent was moving towards the meeting.In the area of ​​Ashudkaur indenter, the ocean closed. Hornhord's pressure caused the Izsarant and Keldar blocks to be squeezed out. The Keldar Bloc rushed to devour the remnants of the Paleo Ocean, which is now the Middle Sea. The southeastern boundary of the Keldar block turned out to be parallel to the Naratar micro-plate. A strait was formed in the shear zone, which connected the Inland Sea and the ocean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plates.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	7.37 MB 
ID:	130645

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast