Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Kronos (reborn) topographic

I mean they look very good, but ... Its the time spent setting yp those continents and all parameters worth the overall needs to project the world ? Is there someting that you cannot do manually ? Just asking, I found this program too time consuming for what are my needs I can make the project of plate tectonics manually , subdivide the planet, position the direction , place friction colliding and diverging zones, have an overal look of the sphere even by projecting it in stereographic or other projections and have all speeds and directions predecided , all that it can be done in a hour or so I think , I found that setting up all that in Gplates required hours and hurs of work , segmentation of continents if you want to have them well defined, and so on... Its worth for me if you want to have the nice animations bt for worldbuilding? Mine is a question not a criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I mean they look very good, but ... Its the time spent setting yp those continents and all parameters worth the overall needs to project the world ? Is there someting that you cannot do manually ? Just asking, I found this program too time consuming for what are my needs I can make the project of plate tectonics manually , subdivide the planet, position the direction , place friction colliding and diverging zones, have an overal look of the sphere even by projecting it in stereographic or other projections and have all speeds and directions predecided , all that it can be done in a hour or so I think , I found that setting up all that in Gplates required hours and hurs of work , segmentation of continents if you want to have them well defined, and so on... Its worth for me if you want to have the nice animations bt for worldbuilding? Mine is a question not a criticism.
    Thank you. I understand. Perhaps I didn't convey my idea clearly. I roughly understand where I have what is behind the fog of war.
    The situation is that I do not know my world. Initially, I only knew one continent. Based on what I knew about him, I realized that there would be another one in the southeast. This is how Albara appeared. Then I realized that Albara could not appear alone during the collapse of paleoAlbara. So that southern blue continent was born.
    Then I wondered how the lands in the north formed. At the moment, I partially give this answer. Unfortunately, I have no idea where other lands will be or where they used to be.
    Intuition suggests that there must be at least one more landmass in the west.
    This gives me roughly the following picture. I roughly understand where I have passive and active edges of the plates. I kinda keep it in my head, as I render the animation it fires my imagination and I redo things that I don't like

You can look at my old sketches, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. But I don't like their current form, position and origin.
    Sorry if I'm being confusing. I understand your general idea and I fully agree with it. For good, it was necessary to start with a super continent and then just split it, drive it through a couple of decay cycles and get a good world. Or, vice versa, from the disintegrated continent to collect back pangea. But I don't know where the other continents are. It's like reloading the world when you get to the edge of it in the game.
    The creation of the whole world became a necessity when I realized that I could not draw the outskirts of the ecumene, the only continent at that time
    I thank you for your feedback. Honestly, it's really important for me to see this. Do not pity me and criticize boldly. I'll be happy.

I only knew 2. 3 link doesn't work for me
    I don't really like generators. For my taste, they create rather boring forms. They all work like perlin noise or cellular automata and give pretty similar results. I mean that it is almost always just some kind of noise, sometimes having some kind of similarity, but visually I can almost never tell that this is a subduction, and this is a thrust or a graben.
    In this regard, I like to have complete control. Although such generators are useful, for example, for starting. I prefer another type of generator, like the wilbur, which allows me to add randomness to my process, as all the same, the eye is blurred and creates similar structures manually.
    One of my frequent niggles with other maps is this "fractal noise". It is not very realistic for my taste, be it mountains or landforms.
    Although it’s more likely than not, it’s just a matter of taste and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrg View Post
    I only knew 2. 3 link doesn't work for me
    I don't really like generators. For my taste, they create rather boring forms. They all work like perlin noise or cellular automata and give pretty similar results. I mean that it is almost always just some kind of noise, sometimes having some kind of similarity, but visually I can almost never tell that this is a subduction, and this is a thrust or a graben.
    In this regard, I like to have complete control. Although such generators are useful, for example, for starting. I prefer another type of generator, like the wilbur, which allows me to add randomness to my process, as all the same, the eye is blurred and creates similar structures manually.
    One of my frequent niggles with other maps is this "fractal noise". It is not very realistic for my taste, be it mountains or landforms.
    Although it’s more likely than not, it’s just a matter of taste and nothing more.
    I agree thats why I am not using either but for starting could be a good starting point ... anyway if not wrong tectonic js allows custom heightmap load ... I think I did use once ...

https://www.deviantart.com/n-a-i-m-a...nics-790628003

I agree thats why I am not using either but for starting could be a good starting point ... anyway if not wrong tectonic js allows custom heightmap load ... I think I did use once ...

https://www.deviantart.com/n-a-i-m-a...nics-790628003
    Hm It`s look funny

### Latest WIP ###
    I started work on the oceans. So far this is a rough sketch, but I can already see some interesting things.
    I have plan for share this Gproject on github for tectonic nerds. So that everyone can easily twist the sliders and see the world

P.S.
    https://github.com/Lenin-Grub/Kronos.git
    I decided that it will be good idea shared my gproject for gplates
    Last edited by Harrg; 01-09-2023 at 06:51 AM.

### Latest WIP ###
    I continued to sketch the world in gplates and it seems the fog of war is clearing
    There are still many details to be clarified, but I already have a better understanding of the overall process of my geology.

Guild Member

This is looking fantastic, so realistic!

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    Excellent work! I hope you'll have enough time, energy and passion to finish this project - the final map will be amazing.
    So, don't give up!
    Thank you very much!

### Latest WIP ###
    While I'm scratching my head with gplates, I decided to take a break and test a new shading method
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hypsomethric map 2033.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	135153  

### Latest WIP ###
    Fast sketchs

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast