Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The City of Haerlech by J.Edward

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

This is a thing of beauty. I've never been a fan of city maps, finding most to be uninspiring - I vastly prefer regional and world maps. This one however, is beautiful. The crest is exquisitely detailed, and the branches look organic. The ships are beautiful and vibrant, the buildings look good, and the little island is great. The fields look realistic, the forests look amazing... *sighs with pleasure* I could go on and on.

You've changed my views on city maps
    A dragon with a penchant for mapmaking

Guild Apprentice

This is quite the impressive map, i'm glad to be here with so many extremely talented people.

Praise

Consummate skill combined with a clear labour of love... no wonder it is such a magnificent piece of work. Well done, and truly inspiring.

Well deserved award. Great work on this, J.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartography Dragon View Post
    This is a thing of beauty. I've never been a fan of city maps, finding most to be uninspiring - I vastly prefer regional and world maps. This one however, is beautiful. The crest is exquisitely detailed, and the branches look organic. The ships are beautiful and vibrant, the buildings look good, and the little island is great. The fields look realistic, the forests look amazing... *sighs with pleasure* I could go on and on.

You've changed my views on city maps
    Haha, that is awesome to hear Dragon I love city maps. Well, I love maps in general, so can't say I like city maps more... but they do have their place and it's good to hear it changed your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    This is quite the impressive map, i'm glad to be here with so many extremely talented people.
    Thanks Pestilence The Guild is a truly wonderful place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalthorine View Post
    Consummate skill combined with a clear labour of love... no wonder it is such a magnificent piece of work. Well done, and truly inspiring.
    Thank you Katherine
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Well deserved award. Great work on this, J.
    Thanks Warlin

Congrats.Fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Congrats.Fantastic work.
    Thank you Jeff

Default May i use this for my novel?

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Map

Attachment 86932

Created in: Photoshop

Review
    This award is long overdue. J.Edward is among the very finest artists here at the Guild. His work has consistently raised the bar for excellence in map creation. Earlier this year J.Edward finished work on project that was a whole year in the making. While it is the case that much of his work is award-worthy, The City of Haerlech stands out even among his own body of work, as distinctively impressive. This city map is strikingly rich and vibrant, with its rolling green hills, its sapphire marina and gilded heraldry. Panning in over the city and its surroundings affords the viewer an opportunity to appreciate just how much work went into this piece. The sheer number and variety of buildings alone is impressive, but where I feel the map shines most is in the harbor and the fields surrounding the city. Lush forests and groves abut ambling roads and lanes. A myriad colorful fields adorn quaint villages and hamlets. Dozens of ships bearing colorful sales rest in Haerloch's docks. The whole city is at once idyllic and familiar. I have spent hours admiring this piece. That I continue to find something new each time I do so is a testament to the amount of loving detail that has gone into this map. J. our hats are off to you, this is indeed a truly remarkable achievement!

Original threads
    Click here to view the Finished Map thread and larger version.
    Click here to view the WIP thread.
    I consider few changes and add to my story.it's a Masterpiece, anyway. When i finish my first book i, surely attribute you as courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joandelorrainne View Post
    I consider few changes and add to my story.it's a Masterpiece, anyway. When i finish my first book i, surely attribute you as courtesy.
    Thanks Joan
    Definitely let me know when you are done with your story.
    I would love to read it. Cheers,
    J

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Praise

Congrats, J! Fantastic work.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast