Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusted off the old Magical Crystal Compass Rose

Except for my lousy border, it's beautiful. If it helps, I can provide the .psd file.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Well crafted! I personally like to blur the further areas a bit in this style of close-up illustration to enhance the sense of depth. This could be done easily in Photoshop afterwards, don't know about 3Dmax. =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll probably do some depth of field work in the final. 3ds Max has it as a camera setting.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

So I've switched this over from 3ds max to blender and am using much better materials and such...Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920x1080_GuildRose.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	576.4 KB 
ID:	103659

Well its certainly given the gems on the compass a sort of radioactive glow

The wood is better. A lot better. I think just that one thing has shifted the dynamics of the composition in a pretty startling way, and greatly improved it overall

Blog Entries

I like the cork and gems of the old one better and everything else about the new one is better.

Blog Entries

Hmmm...I just adjusted the glow of the center gem to match those of the outer ones...and I also changed the IOR on the inkwell. Rendering again. I need to make the cork dirtier I think and inky...What is it about the old gems you liked better?

I definitely think the wood texture is the best part...What do you think about the patina on the metal bits?

Blog Entries

A few minor changes...Mostly the center crystal and glow balance. I've decided to get rid of the feather and model a dip pen instead...Soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920x1080_GuildRose.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	592.9 KB 
ID:	103662

Patina on the metal?

Ummmm..... a bit large in scale? I don't know. Either that or it should be only about half as noticeable, perhaps?

Its really difficult to say. The problem is that you probably aren't modelling this based on a real physical compass?

Just looking around me at the various bits and bobs on my desk that happen to be metal, the patina seems to be far less noticeable than the environmental reflections, but it may just be that the metal I can see at the moment is all fairly highly polished good quality steel (umm, my dinner cutlery ). I don't have any brass or anything else to compare.

Blog Entries

I thought the metal bits looked just great - esp the brass, that looks real. I still like the old gems but the latest new one is better than the last new one. I think it might benefit a little if the shadows were not as sharp. Not sure if you can use an extended light source for the main lighting component just to take the edge off of the shadows. The new ink pot looks quite similar to the old one but its softer because the new one has depth of field rendering going on. Although using that is a good idea it might help a touch if the depth of field was a little larger with smaller aperture. The scratches on the table are quite severe too - that could be a good thing tho. Very rustic.

Its all a matter of taste tho. Its very good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast