View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfinity View Post
    As much as I would love to participate, I am no where near the level of most of you, so I will sit back watch and learn.

Well, unless you want me to design the kiddie land or something... cause that is about the extent of my abilities at the moment
    I have never done a city map. Hop on, it's the best way to learn

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I have never done a city map. Hop on, it's the best way to learn
    Go big or go home right? Count me in for whatever I can do to help.

As a side note I'm decent with numbers and spreadsheets and planning if you want/need any help with the project management side as well. (I know, I know, I'm the new guy why would I be in that kind of role... ) Just offering.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Ok.

I don't think the poll is editable. I've tried it, so it looks like I need to edit the first comment I made to start the thread and make a list of names. I'll start with everyone on this thread who has clearly said they want to be part of it in the order in which they joined, and then I'll add to it as we go on.

If anyone else wants to join in please let us know by adding a comment to that effect below, and I will add your name to the list at the top of the thread
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-04-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Just throwing out some ideas take 'em or leave 'em.

• Have the final product be an interactive map, i.e. a world map/regional map clicking on Guild City would then bring you to a more local map, then clicking on each location in that local map would bring you to a close up of that particular spot (attempting here to incorporate everyone's strengths from world mapping to singular building mapping.)
    • If the interactive maps seems too much, we could always do a slide show video as an "intro to the City" same step down approach just instead of interactive it's an overview video.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Hope I'm not too late to throw my hat in the ring, here. I was too late to get involved in the Guildworld project, but I like the sound of this one.

And, just as a bit of self-promotion, city-planning is what I do for a living, as well. Not sure if that will come in handy or not, but it can't hurt, right?

THW
    Can I ask you a favour THW? [more eyelash fluttering]

Please could you draw up a list of what we will need to have laid down as the basic structure of the city?

Just throwing out some ideas take 'em or leave 'em.

• Have the final product be an interactive map, i.e. a world map/regional map clicking on Guild City would then bring you to a more local map, then clicking on each location in that local map would bring you to a close up of that particular spot (attempting here to incorporate everyone's strengths from world mapping to singular building mapping.)
    • If the interactive maps seems too much, we could always do a slide show video as an "intro to the City" same step down approach just instead of interactive it's an overview video.
    These are the kinds of things that Robbie or Redrobes would have to set up, but if one of them has the time and is willing to help us, and Robbie in particular says yes to it all, then I am sure you won't be disappointed by the end result

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    These are the kinds of things that Robbie or Redrobes would have to set up, but if one of them has the time and is willing to help us, and Robbie in particular says yes to it all, then I am sure you won't be disappointed by the end result
    If they are not up to it, I could take a stab at the video. I have some experience with making/editing videos and most importantly the software to do it (mostly video game related, montage, gamenight recaps that sort of thing, we even did a weekly update video for a while with a group I was in). Depending on how crazy we would want to go with it.

I think this is a great idea, now that I get it

Every city needs a council. I suppose that involves electing councillors. Then the councils will have to have meetings to decide important things like the tea and biscuits budget, the criteria for sending out the snow ploughs and gritters and which foreign cities to twin with. Then when they're all busy bickering about all of that we get busy with the actual work. The paperwork will go through a doddle because we aren't short of artistic talent, so I'm sure the various necessary forms will have the correct signatures in the correct places

If this is to be true to life then we should find out what everyone wants and do the exact opposite. TheHoarseWhisperer will no doubt confirm that a major part of city planning is aesthetic and practical juxtaposing. So, for example, where there are beautiful Gothic style townhouses, there needs to be an incongruously ugly and impractical behemoth of plain concrete, of 1960/70s design, slapped right in the middle of it because someone once thought it would be a great idea (see almost every UK city for real world examples).

On the other hand, this could be a perfect place to live... A place where every building has beer taps connected straight to the brewery. Sort of like The Big Rock Candy Mountain

If they are not up to it, I could take a stab at the video. I have some experience with making/editing videos and most importantly the software to do it (mostly video game related, montage, gamenight recaps that sort of thing, we even did a weekly update video for a while with a group I was in). Depending on how crazy we would want to go with it.
    That's really generous of you, DarkInfinity

However, I can't say whether this is even going to happen just yet, because that's down to what Robbie (our most wonderful Guild Webmaster) and the CLs say, but your offer is noted. Thank you

In the meantime I wonder if you have seen the Guildworld zoomable map? I believe Redrobes set it up from scratch.

EDIT: ninja'd by Straff! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I think this is a great idea, now that I get it

Every city needs a council. I suppose that involves electing councillors. Then the councils will have to have meetings to decide important things like the tea and biscuits budget, the criteria for sending out the snow ploughs and gritters and which foreign cities to twin with. Then when they're all busy bickering about all of that we get busy with the actual work. The paperwork will go through a doddle because we aren't short of artistic talent, so I'm sure the various necessary forms will have the correct signatures in the correct places

If this is to be true to life then we should find out what everyone wants and do the exact opposite. TheHoarseWhisperer will no doubt confirm that a major part of city planning is aesthetic and practical juxtaposing. So, for example, where there are beautiful Gothic style townhouses, there needs to be an incongruously ugly and impractical behemoth of plain concrete, of 1960/70s design, slapped right in the middle of it because someone once thought it would be a great idea (see almost every UK city for real world examples).
    I used to work for the council in London: your description of local government is eerily close to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Can I ask you a favour THW? [more eyelash fluttering]

Please could you draw up a list of what we will need to have laid down as the basic structure of the city?
    No worries, Mouse, I can do this. I'll send you a PM to sort out details.

I'm getting the impression there's no schedule to this project, right? 'coz I'm about to head into an area of Australia where the word 'wifi' has probably never been heard...

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast