View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051

Thread: Guild City

Yep, we still have sections available
    And hopefully I will get myself to post and update soon too.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Course you can

Go right ahead and pick yourself 3 or 4 districts/wards from J.Edward's master plan in order of preference, then let him know you'd like to map it by adding a comment to the end of that same thread. Any questions just add them here on this thread

In anticipation of your taking up the pen on this project - welcome aboard
    Yay! Submitted my picks

It seems the Guild City project has lost a lot of momentum, perhaps because cities are more work than the regional maps for the Guild World.
    I hope to eventually see most of these maps finished, even if it is over the course of many months.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guildworld is still growing, Josiah, and so is the city. With all big projects like this there is always an initial rush as everyone gets carried away by the idea, and then when the hard work begins there will always be a slow down, and a few districts that never seem to get started.

I believe John divided the city into twice as many plots as we had mappers to map them right at the outset to allow for late comers to join in. I think that was a wise move, since if you look at Guildworld John is now having to draw extra islands into the world map to allow late comers to do their bit.

Doing a district map also takes a lot of time out of a participant's quota of mapping hours, and will always come second to commission work and the matters of daily life, but I don't see that these delays are a huge problem at all. Far better that people enjoy doing their bit than start to feel like its a chore they have to do.

I don't expect the city will be 'finished' for a couple of years yet, but when the original districts are eventually all taken it may even grow beyond the initial boundaries to include many new suburbs over the years, and might even still be growing in fits and starts with each new generation of young mappers who suddenly discover it in the years to come when I at least may be long gone.

For me, contributing to the city is a way of leaving something behind that other people can enjoy.

And people may be working on their sections but just haven't done any updates for a while - ie.. ME.
    I have just started throwing down some shadow and stuff.
    It is a long process. But worthwhile.

I agree with you Mouse. I wasn't saying that it had stopped, just that it had perhaps lost steam a bit faster than guild world. Ah well, I'm looking forward to seeing it slowly progress.
    Commission work and real life always get in the way of it. I have put it off for several months just for that reason.

You certainly have big hopes for the guild city. It would be really neat to add more and more content to both the guild world and city. But as you say, with a community participation project like this things are often left unfinished. And with this many people it's hard to get the whole thing into one cohesive map. Anywho, it's a great project, I hope it continues for many years.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

So do I!

I hope even more that everyone who takes part gets to enjoy doing their bit

I don't know if it lost steam, after all Guildworld has quite a few unfinished plots and some unstated ones too. And as you said Josiah, this is actually a more complex and also a more coordinated project. In regards to myself, and I think a few others, I ended up going for a far more detailed thing than I initially planed on too which just compounds things.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051