Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

I think it would be cool to have the theatre on the border. We'd both have to draw a part of it, right? Where would you place it?

-Dan

I have a feeling people in this city are pretty fit. Just imagine all the stairs they have to climb everywhere. Mountains, canyons, massive towers. And after googling Bologna it kinda makes me wish you'd put more.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    It's shaping up pretty nicely Azelor ! Do not take my proposition as a critic it isn't. If you want to have really straight lines for your buildings (again, they're terrific as they are and straightness is not a requirement to have a good city map I guess), you have these tutorials by torstan (Ill also post them in the main thread as they might help newbies like me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftjhvGX4eyw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3furNYU6yPM

Thanks for the tip, I'm trying it right now! The lines are not supposed to be straight for the moment since I'm still in the planning but using paths means I could go straight with the definitive building drawing. Yea, my technique is not very efficient for the moment.

I think it would be cool to have the theatre on the border. We'd both have to draw a part of it, right? Where would you place it?
    Split 50/50 and I would move it closer to the district 6. I'll update the location in my next upload.

I have a feeling people in this city are pretty fit. Just imagine all the stairs they have to climb everywhere. Mountains, canyons, massive towers. And after googling Bologna it kinda makes me wish you'd put more.
    Rich people built tall tower to demonstrate their fortune and most people in my district are not really rich. Of course, there are other towers, but they are much shorter. I think that 1 or a few high towers are nice but too many will disfigure the city.

edit: Thomrey, yes it is much faster. I still have no idea of what I'm doing but at least I'm doing it faster!
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-11-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hehe, you may not have any idea what you are doing but you are certainly doing well. I'm looking forward to seeing its final creation because I have no doubt it will turn out great!

Thanks Tonnichiwa

Here's the daily update.
    I placed the theater where I believe should be a suitable space. It has a radius of about 30m.
    It's big enough to seat 4000 people!
    Green is for vegetation and limestone karst.
    Yellow is for rich residential/temple or something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	section 17 copie.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	91154

You could have high rise blocks instead of towers?

Just a thought.

This is looking great already - and don't worry about my arena. Its quite a distance away and is much more to do with football and gladiatorial matches I haven't got the natural cliff for good acoustics in my patch.

Not really. I don't think it was common in the era to have hi-rise. Yemeni architecture could be another source of inspiration tough, they have a very dry climate.
    I did a count, my version has more buildings than the one above and it's over 300.

Sad that the acoustic is not great, some folk in my district would love to be able to follow the arena fights from afar.

I wonder if Jo might be able to help us both with his communications technology

Well, it's quite densely builded, with narrow streets... A paradise for cutthroats !

So after some considerations, and despite the relative shadiness of the district, I decided to name the district White hill.
    There won't be a lot of living plants on the hill. The reason is that it's mostly rocky so there is not a lot of soil where plants can grow. Also, it's not quite the rainy season yet so it's still a bit dry.

Also, timewise, I presume that the map is being made in spring based on the water level (September or October since we are in the south). Just before the Monsoon.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 17.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	91312

In this update, I tested some road and roof designs. I'm undecided.

Materials for roofs:
    Wood:bad idea/costly?
    Hay: cheap but is isn't it dangerous for fires?
    Tiles/slabs: best but likely more costly.

Roads:
    Bricks/stones : best
    Rocks: ok
    Gravel/dirt: awful and impractical during the rainy season

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast