Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

Oh, nice WIP Azelor! That has a lot in it.
    I like the little texture tests you did... I have little in the way of helpful opinion atm, since I should really be sleeping at this point, but I especially like the look of the harder materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Gravel/dirt: awful and impractical during the rainy season
    But quite likely to be the case in a poor area of the city. If it is a poor area that was once previously wealthy, as I suspect it is, then it would have bricks or paving stones in severe disrepair. Indeed it is not unlikely if it is a really poor area that people have taken the bricks or stones to build their structures. The middle class area so close would also likely be suffering from the problems in the middle and be slowly un-gentrifying as well.

Materials for roofs:
    Wood:bad idea/costly?
    Hay: cheap but is isn't it dangerous for fires?
    Tiles/slabs: best but likely more costly.
    Wood isn't waterproof and a weather of year-round rains or with a humid rainy season would rot it pretty quick. Slabs aren't locally available if the city lies in a large area filled with sedimentary rocks, (karsts)... That leaves hay/straw or some other plant material and ceramic tiles. Tiles are more expensive, but in the middle of a packed city, where would everyone get the needed carts of straw every now and then? Go for tiles, I say.
    (Ensorsed by the Order for Realism )

Roads:
    Bricks/stones : best
    Rocks: ok
    Gravel/dirt: awful and impractical during the rainy season
    Bricks in the main roads, dirt in the hundreds of little one-man ways, alleys and corners that you drew in this part of town... I think.

Nice layout Azelor.
    Do you want your title changed to White Hill?

It's looking great Azelor! Though I'd hate to have to texture the whole district like that! ;p
    What is your district like around the theatre? I was thinking sort of a cultural hub maybe? I was thinking of perhaps putting in a theatre school, conservatoire etc in that area. I haven't actually drawn anything yet, since I heven't had to much time to work on my section, but I thought I'd check if it wouldn't clash with your ideas.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    But quite likely to be the case in a poor area of the city. If it is a poor area that was once previously wealthy, as I suspect it is, then it would have bricks or paving stones in severe disrepair. Indeed it is not unlikely if it is a really poor area that people have taken the bricks or stones to build their structures. The middle class area so close would also likely be suffering from the problems in the middle and be slowly un-gentrifying as well.
    Yes these flat slabs would make a nice roof.

Do you want your title changed to White Hill?
    Yes please!

It's looking great Azelor! Though I'd hate to have to texture the whole district like that! ;p
    What is your district like around the theatre? I was thinking sort of a cultural hub maybe? I was thinking of perhaps putting in a theatre school, conservatoire etc in that area. I haven't actually drawn anything yet, since I heven't had to much time to work on my section, but I thought I'd check if it wouldn't clash with your ideas.
    I have no specific plan. I could even delete the nearby buildings if needs be.

And lastly, I have done some of brick work.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 17.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	91346

I'm don't really like the bricks on top of the wall. I might do it like the brick roads but I wanted a bit more diversity.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.

I like the way it's planned out. It has a proper old town feel to it, like when you go from the hustle and bustle of a market to wandering down streets and the noises gradually fade away behind you, then suddenly you're back in a busy area again. Perhaps in one of those narrow back streets there's a table with two elderly gentlemen playing a game of chess, enjoying a bottle of pastis between them.

Title updated.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Oh yeah, this is going to be pretty great.

My goodness! Just look at all those slabs!

That must have taken you ages and ages - a labour of love

I'll go and update the Main Index with the name of your district....

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast