Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

Blog Entries

I open your image and zoom up in a browser and I get this odd optical illusion where the grid appears about 1cm behind the buildings and stonework. Its like your houses are floating above the grid. Very weird. Anyway - liking how this is progressing. What a lot of work. it reminds me of some of the old architectural CAD work you used to see with these kind of pattern / texture fills. All the CAD apps like AutoCAD were geared up for hard copy by pen plotting on big sheets of paper so you always had line work instead of any colour fills. Sort of like D&D when it was in basic edition and old-school formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I open your image and zoom up in a browser and I get this odd optical illusion where the grid appears about 1cm behind the buildings and stonework. Its like your houses are floating above the grid. Very weird.
    Interesting effect. I'm pretty sure it's because Azelors lines are all crisp and detailed and thiner, and the background grid is thicker and blurry.

Blog Entries

I think so yes. If anyone ever asks me how to make their map 'pop' or how to get some depth into it then I now know what to say !

The building... if not something from Istambul (Hagia Sophia seems a good bet) then the Taj Mahal!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I don't know, I'm thinking Hagia Sophia. Too small, but you said you made it smaller so?
    Your extremely close (can't be closer) but it's not that one.

I might increase the size of the building by 50%, so it won't look so puny. I might need to lower the hilltop somewhat to keep thing more consistent. Something between 75 to 100 m.

(tell me you have a secret for doing those or are you doing all those by hand?)
    Yes and some duplication. I don't duplicate everything. I tend to duplicate small patches and fill the remaining, sometimes altering the duplicated part a bit. I should add that changing the orientation of the elements before duplicating help in fooling the eyes.

Btw, the background lines are just temporary, to keep the scale more consistent.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-25-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Your extremely close (can't be closer) but it's not that one.

I might increase the size of the building by 50%, so it won't look so puny. I might need to lower the hilltop somewhat to keep thing more consistent. Something between 75 to 100 m.
    Ah I never even knew that was there, or if I did I completely forgot. Beautiful building though.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	section 17 copie.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	91938

Wow! I never realised you were going to literally draw every tile on every rooftop! Wow!

This is laid out well and has a great feel.
    Nice and crowded
    I am enjoying your attention to detail.

This is excellent! Honestly I think you'd benefit greatly if you added a pen tablet to your peripherals, if only to stave off developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast