Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

Wip 17 - White Hill [Azelor]

Here my part of town. It's supposed to be a place for shady people (yet some, I assume, are nice people), but it looks like I might have serious competition in recruiting thugs.
    Normally I would expect people to want to build the best place in the world but here, it seems it's the opposite I've seen a few people promising the shadiest area in town... so here goes the draft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	section 17 copie.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	90989

Links to surrounding districts:

North-East, Daniel: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36553
    East, ?:
    South-East, Ilanthar: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36551
    South, Number four:
    West, Thomrey: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36556
    North-West. TheHoarseWhisperer: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36649

In the lowest section, there will be middle class people with artisans and maybe a market somewhere. There is a gate west of my area (Thomrey) I expect there will be a market nearby.
    The middle area is packed with poor buildings squeezed even tighter so we almost can't see the light from the ground.
    Just keep in mind that the streets are larger than the rooftops. There should be enough room to move between buildings.
    On the hill will be more fancy buildings build here and there.
    There won't be any street on the northern border, so me and David will need to figure how to make things fit.

The hill, possibly the highest (of the inner city) has a magnificent view on the city. Will rich people want to live there despite being close to a poor area?

One the major landmark of the district is the high tower built on top of the hill alongside the defensive wall. Best spot in the city and there is a robust rope bridge linking to the floating island for those who can see it. Otherwise it's just a 150m drop. It could be as high as 100m based on the Ansinelli tower of Bologna.

And of course there is the wall.
    To Thomrey and THW: can I build a wall? I promise I won't send any bills.

Finally, I probably need another landmark that isn't a brothel. I accept suggestions.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-07-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Go wild ! I'll adapt to what you planned as I won't be able to start my district at the moment. Seems promising

Yep, feel free to stick a wall up there, neighbour. I can't promise my inhabitants won't tunnel under it, though: they're not so much 'shady' as 'borderline insane'...

Also, you might want to know that I'm developing section 32 in the direction of way-over-the-top mechanical and industrial contraptions, so you might get some smoke and fumes blowing over that pretty wall of yours

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I'm starting to love my neighbors

Your northern neigbour is called Daniel, not David ;P

Great start you've got here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There won't be any street on the northern border, so me and David will need to figure how to make things fit.
    What did you mean with that? Do you mean our buildings in that area should match up because they're not divided by a street?

-Dan

Good start! Just for you to know, I intend to put a palace in that border space near your "triangle of buildings".

Yep, feel free to stick a wall up there, neighbour. I can't promise my inhabitants won't tunnel under it, though: they're not so much 'shady' as 'borderline insane'...
    Yay for tunnels! even if they are underground.

Also, you might want to know that I'm developing section 32 in the direction of way-over-the-top mechanical and industrial contraptions, so you might get some smoke and fumes blowing over that pretty wall of yours
    Depending on the winds direction, maybe not so much. But thanks anyway for providing work to my people!

What did you mean with that? Do you mean our buildings in that area should match up because they're not divided by a street?
    I meant that since it's on the cliff side, it would make more sense if the streets in the area would be perpendicular to the border instead of parallel. In order to follow the elevation.
    I don't know how high the cliff is actually. I was thinking of 50m high maybe 100m at the highest point? Should it be higher?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

That's a great start with the cramped houses Azelor, really looking forward to see it grow! A landmark (beside a brothel) that comes to my mind is a nice yunk yard were the people from the lower parts of your district collecting scrap metal and stuff from THW's factories?
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Junkyard? No, more like a slum but it's not that different I guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 17.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	91078

An update with more buildings including some that I drawn but not properly placed. As I move into the darker part of the area, I'm trying to make houses narrower, smaller, somewhat less symmetric. Still experimenting.

The wall is entirely inside my border (inside both the red and pink lines) so the remaining area in between should not give any problem

I'm thinking about having a greek styled theater on the hill. It seems it could fit if I use the dimensions of the one in Delphi. It would entertain the people in the area, rich and poor.

Daniel: what do you think about putting this element right on the border? I can leave it where I marked it on my map if you don't like the idea.

On another topic, the black rectangle is the actual size and height of the tower sitting on the top of the hill. Don't worry, the other towers are about 15m high at maximum along the wall. If you think it looks exaggerated, you should google Medieval Bologna

It's shaping up pretty nicely Azelor ! Do not take my proposition as a critic it isn't. If you want to have really straight lines for your buildings (again, they're terrific as they are and straightness is not a requirement to have a good city map I guess), you have these tutorials by torstan (Ill also post them in the main thread as they might help newbies like me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftjhvGX4eyw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3furNYU6yPM

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast