Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 - Innominate Bluffs of the Polyrapt [Falconius]

UV Mapping - bitmaps to 3D objects... just as a side comment, I'll be uploading a couple of roof textures in my texture album in a while. They're probably all the wrong colour and everything, but if memory serves me right you can actually paint on top of the texture directly in Blender.

EDIT: Don't know if you use normal maps for your textures or not, but I've got a couple of experimental ones to go with the roof textures. I have no idea if they work or not. It's just a by-product tick box thing in Genetica 'make normal map'. Ill do an ordinary flat texture, then a colour and normal map for each one. They should appear in the Activity stream, since its a public album, but if you ever want to get at my textures there's a link in my signature
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Yeah I'm using normal maps as well for the textures I've got. Not sure how to make normal maps on my own if they didn't come with the stuff I downloaded, but they did so I don't need to worry bout that for now. In Blender you can use node trees and mix shaders to basically tint the textures to the colours you want (within reason), it probably affects their overall fidelity up close maybe, but that won't matter for me.

I've done a couple in my new 3D textures album (link below in my signature). They are only examples. If they work, and if you want I can probably make a reasonable normal map from an image/texture in Genetica. The limitations I've discovered so far are that if the colour part of the texture is very strong/contrasty it affects the normal map somewhat because the contrast is misinterpreted as part of the actual physical texture. That's why there are two versions of the cathedral tiles in the album already.

Let me know if you want to try it

They look like they should work, but I've been doing clay tiles for the roofs. I'm not sure I'f I'm going to have a building for which shingles are a fit, if I do I'll give them a go though.

Well, if you haven't already got a normal map for those clay tiles the offer is there...

Been putzing around with the map and this is the current progress (this time in the correct orientation):
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City 3.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	8.53 MB 
ID:	91476
    I've got three models of buildings so far not including the big stuff, but I figure I'm going to need a whole lot more than that maybe 15-20? 15, should do I think what with all the other stuff to put in. I'm having fun fooling around with textures but I think I may want to go with something far more simple, not sure.

I've filled in Meshons map area with a bunch of blocks to approximate his buildings, just so I have something in the background for pictures. Not sure what roof style he's going for but it should be easy to change later on. May do something similar for my other bordering neighbors.

Name:	GC CameraPic3.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	613.0 KB 
ID:	91477

Name:	GC CameraPic1.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	91478

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

These 3d renderings are extremely cool Falconius! I love the spacious, somewhat "antique" layout of your district. Keep up the good work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Blog Entries

Oh yeah ! Lovin this !!!

I did mine in 3D too but nothing on this level. Mine was flat with some boxes etc to get the right shadows. I will try to get your latest wip onto the main map now you have a top down but I will have to guess the mask a bit so it might be a bit off.

Thanks Abu and Redrobes.

Next time I render I'll make a copy that has the map overlay on it so it should be easier to register. The north wall is basically almost touching the pink wall line (which follows the borderline exactly).

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

OMG !
    Huge work here !!!!!
    Great idea to make it in 3D and then the top-down view !!!! And so, the shadows, are perfect !!!
    And moreover, we can enjoy the ISO views too !!!!
    I really like what you've done... and I salute all the work that it took !!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast