Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 - Innominate Bluffs of the Polyrapt [Falconius]

Default 07 - Innominate Bluffs of the Polyrapt [Falconius]

I have an idea. I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but if we keep going I'm sure I'll find out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoughGC_Plan.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	90986
    The red is the edge road. The north bridge should be ignored.

Edit: Redrobes had a good idea to link the neighbors threads in his opening post. I think I'll follow suit.

District 18, NW corner: Yet Unnamed [DanielHasenbos]
    District 5, SW bridge: Nantara'Ďendel District [Ilanthar]
    District 8, E and S side: Mossbank [Meshon]
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-10-2017 at 03:50 PM.

OK just a quick note because it may be pertinent to others, I made it from ground level to the water surface a difference of 60 meters (196 ft).
    It looks like this:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Test1.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	776.2 KB 
ID:	91047
    I can shorten up a bit if need be but I like it at this depth aesthetically. I wouldn't want to shorten it more than 10 or 15 meters though. (each striation line there should be about five meters down)

(ignore the roadway floating in the air there, it's got naught to do with anything, just a placeholder)

Blog Entries

I did the links to neighbours from experience of constantly having to look them up last time in GuildWorld. I will try to get some semblance of a picture with neighbours WIPs edited in before I start mine. I gues I will have to put something on canvas tho to help them plan theirs too.

Anyway - Yes I like the 3D thing. I have something a bit like that in my area and your image makes a neat reference to wrap my head around it. I was wondering about how much undercut to apply to below the edge. Theory says that it would be a straightish drop for a straight river but would undercut the outside bend if the river curved. Not sure what to think tho. On the other hand people could have been chisling the wall for centuries so I suppose anything goes.

Yeah I was figuring also that where it turned the outer wall would be more undercut, and the inner wall would slope. These are the general shapes I was thinking. 1) Is where it's wider and more open (closer to the middle of my lake). 2) is where the valley starts to close as it heads back underground, where the top is far less open. And then 3) is where it heads under ground.

Name:	River thoughts.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	91061
    In my district the cliffs have been heavily modified over the years by the polyrapt denizine.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-10-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Nice! It's not the same shapes, but somehow, it both makes me think to John Carter of Mars and the "cliff city" in the last version of the "Time Machine".

Haven't really got much done as I spent a lot of time just trying to fix the mesh topology (which takes forever if you don't know what you're actually doing). I also imported my neighbors maps and tried to match up as best I could with the plans they have. It should be fairly close. I took Ilanthar's Bridge tower and modeled it a bit, just to try and figure out how the bridge would work on my part of the map, what I have here is only what I imagine it looks like and how it think it could work, it is just a placeholder so I can figure out my map. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes. Given the bridge Ilanthar actually drew looks like a draw bridge this is obviously way too high, but I had to make it work with the roads and my own mad cliffs. (It could also be that the entire neighborhood of the Ployrapt is completely mad and think they live in an extra dimensional borough that's bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside )
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PolyraptBegining.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	793.3 KB 
ID:	91143

Name:	PolyraptBegining1.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	91144

Name:	PolyraptBegining2.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	91145

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

That is actually kind of terrifying. but I love how you can manipulate 3d effects on terrain like that. It is something that I am not very familiar with at all but would love to learn to do. Great job so far.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Note to self, lear how to do that. I really like that 3d model you have going on there.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

That's pretty cool Falconius!

Once the city is fully mapped it would be amazing to have a 3d render of it.

Do you think you could do the whole city?

That would be splendidiferous! (and I know I'm being unrealistic here)

This is amazing work

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast