Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guild City - Overall Map

Red - I notice that my map isn't really filling its extent. Have I somehow got it distorted or the wrong scale?

(District 03) The roads are showing well inside the boundary, but not the same all the way around the edge.

EDIT: I think its my fault - I was being all arty and made the map fade into the background. I will upload another WIP in the next hour with a very sharp border so its easier to see. Sorry - my bad!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-17-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Blog Entries

No I am aware that I messed up your section mask. Its because I did yours first ! But I have the method of extracting the outline off to a art now. It would help me a little if there was a feint outline of the original border you were working to. Whilst I have an accurate mask I have to guess its scale and position on your map. If you have the original section issued by J.E. as a layer on your system then can you whack it up to 100% opaque and post it with the same resolution image as your colour city sector (without a WIP tag of course) ? That would be ideal for me then I dont even have to guess at its scale and position at all.

Ok - will do... just had a crash so I might be a while!

Thanks Red

EDIT: All done - both images uploaded for you

EDIT 2: That's perfect! Thank you
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-18-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Sweet, how did I completely miss this thread. Thank You. This will be very helpful.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Blog Entries

If you go up a level to the Community World Build Projects section there is a bunch of topics there. One of them is the zoomable map of GuildCity. GuildCity is one of hundreds of cities within GuildWorld. In the community topics there is a zoom map of Guild World too. If you use that and zoom around and find the bottom right sandy coloured section of the main continent then when you zoom in a little ways you will find an icon which is where GuildCity lives on the whole world. If you click that icon it takes you to GuildCity the zoomable map.

Were hoping that we can have some sections within GuildCity with some more links so that we can zoom in some more. Maybe have a sewers / underground layer and maybe some links to threads which contain the interior maps for some of the buildings. My personal hope is that we could build a world and map some of it to a level where you could easily RPG in it without having the overhead of massive mapping ordeal to go through. Once it reaches a certain threshold then I would hope that people using it to RPG might add to it progressively - or add background ideas and campaign notes to the world to flesh it out.

Thats the plan anyway ! Whether we can pull it off is basically dependent on how well it goes or how popular it becomes.

Somehow I missed this thread, but this going to be cool! Thanks Redrobes.

I want to start on my part now, ... but first finish my challenge map...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djan View Post
    I want to start on my part now, ... but first finish my challenge map...
    Yes, I have been neglecting my monthly challenge as well... need to get back on that 12 more days ish...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If you go up a level to the Community World Build Projects section there is a bunch of topics there. One of them is the zoomable map of GuildCity. GuildCity is one of hundreds of cities within GuildWorld. In the community topics there is a zoom map of Guild World too. If you use that and zoom around and find the bottom right sandy coloured section of the main continent then when you zoom in a little ways you will find an icon which is where GuildCity lives on the whole world. If you click that icon it takes you to GuildCity the zoomable map.

Were hoping that we can have some sections within GuildCity with some more links so that we can zoom in some more. Maybe have a sewers / underground layer and maybe some links to threads which contain the interior maps for some of the buildings. My personal hope is that we could build a world and map some of it to a level where you could easily RPG in it without having the overhead of massive mapping ordeal to go through. Once it reaches a certain threshold then I would hope that people using it to RPG might add to it progressively - or add background ideas and campaign notes to the world to flesh it out.

Thats the plan anyway ! Whether we can pull it off is basically dependent on how well it goes or how popular it becomes.
    Well, I do have a cave underneath my section I need to map out eventually... as far as how well it goes/ popularity I'm putting my vote for an annual/ semi-annual/ biannual (not sure how often people will be ready for something like this) event for picking a city or area to do a community event to map out. The options are (almost) endless. We could map out caves in one of the mountain ranges, buildings within the cities, even different cities with different angles (some cities could be smaller so we get a smaller section so maybe have an angled view for more details instead of top down.) Along with being fun, it gets people to try different styles of mapping as well. Pushing our boundaries. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself... just some food for thought.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfinity View Post
    Well, I do have a cave underneath my section I need to map out eventually... as far as how well it goes/ popularity I'm putting my vote for an annual/ semi-annual/ biannual (not sure how often people will be ready for something like this) event for picking a city or area to do a community event to map out. The options are (almost) endless. We could map out caves in one of the mountain ranges, buildings within the cities, even different cities with different angles (some cities could be smaller so we get a smaller section so maybe have an angled view for more details instead of top down.) Along with being fun, it gets people to try different styles of mapping as well. Pushing our boundaries. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself... just some food for thought.
    Yeah, that was also discussed in the Guild world threads, and it would be nice perhaps to set up something slightly formal like that. This occurrence happened more organically then a planned event. Perhaps in the challenge suggestion threads one could also put up guild world suggestions for a semi-annual (assuming that's the one that means twice a year?) mapping project. Alternatively people could put up three poll options on their suggestions: "Yes." "No." and "GuildWorld project"?

Edit: For instance we could have a group Guild dungeon, which would be extensive and super cool I think.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-19-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Just a thought here, but do you think that making it a regular event might kill it just a bit?

I mean wouldn't it be better to just leave it 'as and when', so that CLs have the option of planning it in an 'either now or in a couple of months time' fashion? I mean... they do have private lives and commitments just like we do, and sorting something like this out can be very time consuming with all the simultaneous conversations going on between 20-30 people - not to mention drawing an area map and sorting out the topography and keeping everything updated, etc. We were just incredibly lucky that John decided to make enough time to make this thing happen for us the way that he did, or we would still only be talking about it and not mapping it like we are.

I know that I might just be a voice in the wilderness, but... well... that's what I think

Yes, that is certainly a possibility. But it doesn't also mean it's not worth a shot. Serendipity is not always so fortuitous.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast