Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

Nice start Pixie, I like all the Temples and Churches, I won't put one in my area, since you have it covered. Your lake "I think" is the last above ground lake before the walled city from the West. ( I will be controlling water levels from upriver with the DAM and pumps, let me know if that effects you.
    Looking forward to seeing this progress

Interesting concept.

But what if we can make maps that are better than reality?
    What if reality was wrong?
    Does reality even exist?
    What if it's just a perception and the real reality is something else?
    I mean, is there a school for neorealists?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Interesting concept.

But what if we can make maps that are better than reality?
    What if reality was wrong?
    Does reality even exist?
    What if it's just a perception and the real reality is something else?
    I mean, is there a school for neorealists?
    Reality is not wrong.
    Such questions have been answered at the beginning of times and it is not good use of time to dwell on them these days.
    Indeed, an inquisitor may be forced to travel your way to verify the good use of your god given rationality, dear brother. Perhaps in certain aspects you may have abandoned the ways of the order and should that be confirmed, what a pitty it would be. I hear you draw pebbles now - are those pebbles of realistic sizes, Azelor, or are they heretically large?..

On a far less serious note than the issue of heresy and the loss of our brother Azelor to the Fantasticalites, here's a ....

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 21 _tests.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	91469

The middle of the map contains a fast and "drafty" attempt at coloring and shading. I am hoping for comments and directions concernig that as it's something I never tried before.

This version has Robbie's and Snodsy's latest wips superimposed on it.

I have been trying hard to balance urban density in my draft with an organic pattern for city growth and with the info from neighbouring sections. On top of that, I realised that a bunch of us are drawing top-down buildings that resemble european or victorian english architecture - this on a setting with much warmer temperatures and different rain patterns. So, I decided to change shape and sizes of houses - making them larger and lower, with less inclined roofs. (Ideally, I mean, because I'm not enough of an artist for that).

I really like your houses and your coloring of them, especially the larger ones, the small ones maybe have a little too much white? You shadowing is good too. I'll mainly have trees on my border to yours as well as the road. Looking forward to seeing this develop. I like what your doing.

They look proper good, Pixie

I'm very impressed. the jury on the paler shading is still out with me. I'm going to be adding weathering stains to some of my own buildings in GIMP once I've done most of the map in CC3, so mine will probably have quite a lot of white on them as well. Tiles fade, and they also get stained all kinds of colours where the rain washes metal oxides from flashing around chimneys and such. And then there are the bright orange lichens that grown on most of the rooftops (around where I live anyway). Maybe if anything make it a bit less noticeable compared to the light and shade of the buildings, but otherwise a very impressive first try

I hadn't thought of the style all that much. I suppose once John showed us that particularly attractive drawing with all those lovely dormer windows and gable ends I fell subconsciously into the trend of attempting to emulate his style with my own version of it, but there are also huge numbers of domes and other things appearing that you just don't see a lot of in a northern European city.

I don't think we are in danger of being overly mono-cultural about our architecture - even if we were all trying to deliberately stick to a set style no two maps would look the same anyway. And just so you know - I'm going to throw in quite a lot of flat roofs and untidy shacks once I get to the poorer end of town, where the people can't afford the lavish extravagance of mighty timbers and millions of expensive tiles

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't think we are in danger of being overly mono-cultural about our architecture - even if we were all trying to deliberately stick to a set style no two maps would look the same anyway. )
    It's not being monocultural that worries me... It's that I end up drawing buildings that are inadequate for the climate.. As a realisminite, you know, that's the kind of stuff that keeps me from sleeping in peace

That's fine, Pixie, but I think we have quite a good old rainy season, or there would be no water in the land to produce all these gushing and tremendously powerful rivers and lakes... unless what we are sitting on is actually a gigantic aquifer and all the rain falls on very distant mountains! LOL! This could very well be just a series of oasises...es (not sure on the plural of oasis) in the desert if that is the case

Roofs have steep pitches because it sheds snow better, not because of rain. The places Azelor linked all have rain and heat.

Blog Entries

I was originally going to do all mine with flat roofs in adobe like in say Morocco. But I think tiled would be ok if there were planty of clay around instead.

BTW - like the latest wip. Will have to get this onto the main map asap. Dont know if you all noticed but I put up a zoom map last night too.

Edit: I have added you to my local copy of the whole map so it will be there next upload. Just to note to say paint right up to the edge of your area and over the border line if you have to. I have a mask which will clip it out to the shape issued. I know your doing it rough at the mo and more work is going to go into it but your edge is not as close to the whole section as it could be and I really hope this time we can butt them all up with no gaps between. I can do a pretty good job of getting the edge right this time around because of J.E.s issued sector boundaries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sect21Edge.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	91479  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-18-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast