Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Outer] The Borough of Lurkin [Mouse]

Default 15 - [Outer] The Borough of Lurkin [Mouse]

The Borough of Lurking is a small town that grew up in the ruins of earlier fortifications that were destroyed in the last war by the orcs. Its citizens are a cosmopolitan mix of many different races and come from all walks of life. They are the medieval commuters who travel into the city to work or do business, and they are also the fletchers and blacksmiths who forge the weapons that in times of war would be used to defend the city, but which in times of peace may be sold as ornaments to decorate the walls of a rich man's mansion.

Since this area is outside the wall it is very unlikely that there are going to be any very large or important features, like football stadia (for example), so this will be a map of the karst landscape, the ruins of the older battlements, and the homes of the more recent settlement nestling into the spaces between them.

Red - this is the template for all the maps that follow…

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AREA 15 outer.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	7.58 MB 
ID:	92024

My neighbours are:

15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse] (er... yes, I'm afraid that's me again!)
    16 - Archives Ward and its cold burrows [thomrey]
    28 - Currently available
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-30-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Here's a very rough plan showing both halves of sector 15. Though all the maps that follow in this thread will be of the Borough of Lurkin only (the mauve rectangle area), I thought it would be best to show the relationship between the ward and the borough, which are divided by the city wall. I also couldn't imagine discussing relief and roads without a view of the whole map.

I'm not really sure about the relief in the Borough, and welcome any comments before I get started on the more permanent and time consuming work

Name:	Reference map 02.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	92066

Please can some nice kind CL update the title of my thread to "15 - [Outer] The Borough of Lurkin [Mouse]" (delete the g from lurking)?

Thanks

Thank you twice, John

This is the first working of the relief. There is yet much to be done...

Sorry - listening to LOTR at the moment. Just be thankful I am 'watching, not' Star Wars!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Lurkin_02.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	8.36 MB 
ID:	92175

Again a great relief (is that what is meant by 3D look?)

I wonder, if there was ever a prohibition in the city, would illicit clubs selling prohibited goods within your districts be known as Sqeakeasies?

LOL! Thanks Straf! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-02-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Contours are useful for creating a map. They have a couple of fun properties:

(1) Water naturally goes perpendicular to the contours. Perpendicular to a contour is the path of steepest descent/ascent.

(2) Paths made by living things usually intersect contours at some maximum angle that will depend on local topography. The closer the contours (steeper the slope), the shallower that the crossing angle of roads, railroads, aqueducts, and so on will make with that contour because critters are lazy and wheels/hooves tend to slip on too steep of a slope. If a path exactly follows a contour, then it's just like living on flat land except for the going in circles part.

I mention this because you have a number of roads that would be very steep in places. That road from the fort to hospital would probably be a wonderful slide in wet weather and a difficult thing to use in normal times. A cog railway typically follows the path of steepest ascent, so that might work.

Thanks Waldronate

Are you up for a toboggan race?

I'm still messing with the shape right now, but the purple roads are going to be viaducts between the mesa and the ridges. The red line is the city wall (I am going to have so much fun with that ) and some of the pre-drawn roads within the extent need to be slightly rerouted, but not too much.

I still have to cut the ground level roads into the landscape properly, but I'm not going to do that until I've got the terrain sorted out to a point where I'm happy with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast