Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    You dont need to show the extents for me so long as the wip image is the same size as the others and you havent moved the shape withing the image. I have the mask all set up so I just take the new wip and apply the mask to it.

JPEG at 100% means no loss - or at least it ought to. That means it needs to encode every last pixels worth of information. JPEG works by working out the spectral content of 8x8 blocks of pixels and then encoding them in most important to least. The quality value tells it how many of the spectral components are encoded so as you reduce it then it knocks out more of the insignificant ones under some threshold. But with 100% that threshold is 0 and your supposed to do them all. So the difference from 100% to 99% could be quite a lot but 99% to 95% less so.

We had a challenge once to make a map but the image size in bytes had to be less than some value I cant recall but something like 64K and the map had to be > 800x600 or something. It was quite tough as you add detail the file size goes up. But we all learnt a lot about file sizes in that challenge. If your image has lots of normal detail in it then JPG is better if you have blocks of solid colour then often PNG can beat JPG in those situations. PNG is always lossless but JPG is normally lossy but with 100% it should be lossless - it does depend on the app tho. Also 5% in one app seems to be different to 5% in another. A drop of 5% in Gimp seems to be quite significant compared to other apps. I am not sure if JPG standard sets the exact method of how many or how much of the spectral components to drop with a determinate amount of quality value.
    Ha! See - I learn quickly - quote the whole block you are answering or end up making a nonsense of the thread by getting ninjad in the middle

Its exactly the same. I even have a nice rectangle on the map to show the extent to pick once I've called the 'Rectangular Section JPEG' tool through the save menu, and I set the same pixel dimensions and use same map coordinates to define the exported map.

I used Corel Photopaint to reduce the file size - the export for web tool. I set the compression to 3% first and it was still over the limit - about 10 MB, so I went up to 5% and it turned out the one you see. I can't tell the difference, so I guess the loss must be in the texture of the background, which is nice and pale anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

Blog Entries

as above jpg is a trade off
    quality VS. file size -- to a point and with exceptions

line drawings do not compress well as jpg's
    an example a excerpt from XKCD

1) the orig. png image - only minor errors from resizing down -- 12.8 KiB RGB image

2) 60 % jpg save 5.5 KiB RGB image
    -- see the artifacts around the lines !

3) resave the jpg as a jpg 60% 5.5 Kib RGB image
    -- the artifacts around the lines are WORSE !

however for this example a indexed optimized tonemap is the best compromise for size
    2.4 Kib as a gif
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 02-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

EDIT: Haha - Red, you just got ninjad by Southern Crane over on your own thread, and now your getting revenge on me.
    What does getting ninja'd here mean?

Thanks John

That's why I never go more than 5% compression. Its kind of a maximum compression figure I've set for myself. If the image is still too large to upload I go back to the original and do a complete resample with bicubic downsampling in Photopaint, and then if its still too many MB to upload I try compression again.

The two halves of District 15 are roughly the same size. I did the District in two halves so that I could maintain the same high level of detail that I had in Atlas Ward. On a nice cheap bottom of the range laptop its also easier trying to handle an exported bitmap that's only 6000 pi square, than one that's 10,000 pi square, when its rendered directly from CC3 and is ap. 112 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane View Post
    Ah well - you just did it to me this time! LOL!!!

it's an affectionate shorthand way of saying "oh damn, Southern Crane just clicked 'post quick reply' before I got to it, so now my response to Johnvanvliet is all out of order"... see?

Blog Entries

as for this
    The problem is, you see, I can't see a way of using either of the CC3 bevel effects to get the kind of relief shading I want, which is best described by this image, which I've already uploaded and credited in the Reference Images thread...
    you need a heightmap for that and a tool for sunlight shading
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane View Post
    It means that somebody has posted a reply inbetween you posting your reply so that the post above your reply is not following the conversation any more. Its bound to happen all the time on a forum. Its not uncommon but Mouse noted that I replied in my thread and your post got there first and then it happened again a few seconds later in Mouses thread. That is quite unusual - so it looks like you have ninja skillz !

You havent said where in the world you are from. Sometimes these things dont translate well. Other times its a forum bit of slang that is not known outside of forum speak. Its like OP means opening poster - i.e. the first poster of the thread.

EDIT: Aaaaand I have been triple ninjad right there !

Yay! Congratulations Red

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    as for this

you need a heightmap for that and a tool for sunlight shading
    I quite agree, but unless its hidden in some recess that I haven't explored just yet, there is as yet no 3D lighting capability in CC3+. You can do directional shadows with the global sun, but relative heights of objects are not taken into account - not in City Designer they aren't anyway. Most of the time its perfectly adequate for your average city, and it cuts out all the roof angle shading. I don't have to do any of that at all. CC3 does it automatically.

Blog Entries

a quick one ( in-between posts ) done up in gimp 2.9.4 and eroded in wilbur then used the bumpmap gimp filter to relight the heightmap

used the Gmic "distance transform" and "plasma noise"

and the bump map relighting at sun azimuth of 30 deg and -45 deg west

not cc3 so...
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast