Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 29 - The Market Ward [djan]

Default 29 - The Market Ward [djan]

It was a bit busy at work and at home, so it took me a bit longer than expected to get started on my section. I also see that I have missed a ridiculous amount of updates on the other guild city threads, so I have some reading up to do.

I am currently focussing on the part of the map that is inside the city walls. This part is dominated by the bazaar. Don't know who the old madman is but I had to have a tower occupied by one. Outside of the wall we have the cemetery and more markets and the new adventurers guild.

Edit

The most recent version of the map

My neighbours:

To the north east: 23 'The District of Yet Unnamed' by Josiah
    To the north west: 26 'Feyward' by Chashio

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 29.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	865.5 KB 
ID:	92777
    Last edited by djan; 03-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Great - that looks like an interesting plan

You may be some time indeed if you're serious about reading all the other threads. There's been quite a lot of activity since we started mapping - including a new game you might be interested in - our version of find wally. Its a cute little dragon drawn by Chashio that quite a few of us are hiding in our maps. The images for which can be found in Red's thread here if you are interested in joining in.

I have linked your thread to the index for you already, and eagerly await more updates

You might want to check the size of your buildings against others, they may be a little on then small size?

Thanks. I was inspired by some middle eastern bazaars which are a tangle of tiny buildings. I meant to have the smaller buildings in the order of 3 by 3 metres, but I might have drawn them too small. I'll check. I'll also check with some airial photos of some existing bazaars to see if the 3 by 3 metres I used is realistic. And I'll also check with some of the other maps (even if my sizes are right, it would be nice if my part of the map fits in with the rest).

I am certain that the nature of your map will fit perfectly, and if it does turn out that the scale is a bit wrong, then at least it will be easier to put right at this relatively early stage

3 x 3 m is a very small building. It's like a hot dog stand with walls around it, like this: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89choppe

I have houses in my district that are 5m wide but usually a bit longer on the other side.
    It's small but some buildings are pretty narrow in real life too.

Didn't I mention that this is the district where the halflings live?

Azalor, I did mean to have buildings similar shown in your link (thanks for that). Basically an upgraded market stand with a roof and stone walls. Or small work sheds. But even then, to have most of the buildings that size is unrealistic. Even in you examples, most of the shops shown are inside larger buildings. So I have resized most of the buildings.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Section 29_20170303.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	93181

Aw djan - not to worry

At least the worst part of deciding where to put things is nearly done

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    At least the worst part of deciding where to put things is nearly done
    Well, I still have a large part of city outside of the city walls. I have started sketching out that; and started detailing the line work on the inside of the city wall (and some very quick shading).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Section 29.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	816.3 KB 
ID:	93371
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-10-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Add WIP tag.

What you've already done is instantly popping where you added the shading. Nicely drawn already

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast