Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info thread - for discussion & questions

Info Info thread - for discussion & questions

Welcome
    This area of the forum is dedicated to our newest fun project: make a bookmark. That's pretty much it. You can create a bookmark in any style or genre that you want, so long as it's somewhat map-related and approximately bookmark-shaped.

If you're stuck for ideas, make a bookmark celebrating the Guild. Print 'em out and leave them somewhere they might be appreciated.

How does it work?
    Start a thread and either post some WIP pics if the bookmarks are part of a larger series or, if you aren't spending too long on it, just post the finished work. It's entirely up to you. Redrobes has very kindly set up a thumbnail scraper, and it'll work the same as the challenge threads, so use the Latest WIP tag to get your work in the Thumbnails gallery (remember, there's a button on the toolbar in the comments box that'll insert the tag for you).

Size/Quantity
    You're not limited to making one bookmark. You can make as many as like. Maybe we can do themes now and then if people are interested. Remember the thumbnail scraper will only pick up the last image tagged in a thread, so if you want multiples in the gallery, you'd either need to combine them into one image or start a new thread for each.

Our suggested size is 7 inches x 2 inches, but that isn't set in stone. If you want to make a bigger or smaller than normal bookmark, go right ahead.

How to upload
    I'm hoping that some new site members will join in this project, and if you're unsure how to upload images, there are instructions here.

Got questions?
    Ask away in this thread.

And finally...
    A big thank you to Sironae who was the inspiration for the whole thing, via this thread.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks Sironae for the great idea, and thanks ChickPea for the great follow-through!

This is so great, a brilliant idea really. I hope to make a handful. I think it will be a quick, great way for me to foray into different styles of mapping with just small samples of maps like this.
    Thanks Sironae for the idea!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I really hope Sironae doesn't mind us pinching her idea!

Its a really great one - thanks Sironae

I gotta question, ChickPea

If you make something 2 inches by 7, and its at 600 dpi, will it print out the right size, or do I need to halve that dpi?

You have to forgive me for these beginner questions. I never usually bother printing anything, so I've never found out, and my printer is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If you make something 2 inches by 7, and its at 600 dpi, will it print out the right size, or do I need to halve that dpi?

You have to forgive me for these beginner questions. I never usually bother printing anything, so I've never found out, and my printer is broken.
    It will print out at 2 x 7. The dpi is just how many dots per inch. [Or ppi... pixels per inch]
    600 dpi is definitely more than you need for a bookmark, but it does also allow you more pixels to play with for the same size [2 x 7].

Thanks John

I'll carry on working at 600, and reduce to 300 (but still 2x7) before uploading

I will join this as soon as i can. I want to make a set of bookmarks, some crops from old maps and some new if have time.

Btw, About the dpi. Anywhere i check people say that for A4 print in colour you NEED 300dpi. I have test print which were done in 96dpi and the quality is more than satisfactory. I know the theroy behind dpi, i just never seen a real practical difference.

When I reduced from 600 to 300 all the little mistakes I'd made in the rush to finish my sketch before I fell asleep just magically disappeared

Another question...

I'm a bit confused. Are we doing a separate thread for each bookmark, or are we doing like Diamond and doing just one thread each with all of our bookmarks in it?

It's entirely up to you. If you'd like your bookmarks in the thumbnail gallery so that everyone can easily see them, then one thread each.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast