Thread: Mad, Mad, Mad Wizard's Labyrinth

Default Mad, Mad, Mad Wizard's Labyrinth

You say, Hallister the Mad Wizard, the creator of Undermountain already holds the title - well, perhaps for super dungeons. This dungeon is much smaller (at 1 inch = 5 feet scale) the total dungeon is 72 x 72 inches, however, that is sliced into 9 24 x 24 squares, each with it's own set door chambers, halls and doors.

The Mad, Mad, Mad Wizard's Labyrinth is a dungeon in 9 squares that form the full dungeon square. Posted below are the first two 24 x 24 sections, with one more coming that will go to the right of these two, then six more below them. Rules are once the entire party enters a square they can move about the rooms and doors they have access. Once the entire party (or confirmed party split with GM), enters another square, the previous square rotates 90 degrees clockwise, so attempting to reenter the door will take you to a different room. If you exit any of the outer doors, these link to the opposite doors in the square on the opposite side of the entire dungeon (2 squares away). While this could be used for any plot... here's one.

The Mad, Mad, Mad Wizard just died. He made deals with devils, demons, daemons, angels, aberrant beings, in addition to have been an epic level wizard. While multiple extra-planar beings are attempting to seize his soul for their agendas, the PC's sponsor also dealt with the wizard, and is owed his spellbook as payment. The PCs are told "You'll find his spellbook and a key on the desk, that you'll need to get out, in his study. Oh, and if you can't access the room, you'll need to go around to get there."

The party enters from the top left door. Notably, the study they find is in shambles and appears to have been hit by a fireball or some other fiery spell effect, but no book nor key. However, on a Perception check, the mirror on the opposite wall shows your reflection, but the room behind is elaborately decorated, with a desk shown with key and spellbook on it, in the mirror. The party cannot pass through the mirror - they'll need to go "around" to get there...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mad-wizards-labrinth.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	94624
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I had gotten five tiles done when I realized I had screwed up, the side doors weren't centered right, so when you rotated the square, the doors weren't lined up - uh! So I fixed that, and I'm back to only three done, but done correctly. Plus I improved the rustpunk square and did a better job of the jail/torture chamber cell, that you hadn't seen yet. So making slow progress.

GP

Name:	top-row-labyrinth.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	5.31 MB 
ID:	94661
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's the final nine. And I changed the rotation of the chamber the PCs were previously in to counter-clockwise, to make it a little harder to solve. Of course once you know the secret it's fairly easy.

GP

Name:	mad-wizard-labyrinth-final.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	6.53 MB 
ID:	94702
    DrivethruRPG store

That looks indeed like some crazy fun for players. Each room another challenge, often even surreal like the magma room.

Default Labyrinth description?

I know this hasn't been looked at for years, but I was wondering... have you ever finished the descriptions of each room? I would love to play this, but the lack of description makes it a bit difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beysie View Post
    I know this hasn't been looked at for years, but I was wondering... have you ever finished the descriptions of each room? I would love to play this, but the lack of description makes it a bit difficult for me.
    Hi guys, in which programs do you work on Your dungeons and are there any good books on traditional pen and pencil dungeon making? I would been interested in any source of information as Im fairly new into this and have little to no info, thanks!